PDA

View Full Version : SC&C.. Better than advertised

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Finally got the Stage 2 plus kit installed and out of the alignment shop and the car handles better than I could have ever expected. This thing handles like it's on rails. Solid and confidence inspiring. Hats off to all here who have given advise and tech. Who needs or wants a new musclecar when your classic can run with the best without the payments and better style.:woot:

ponchopwr70
08-02-2007, 04:52 AM
I agree!

Yelcamino
08-02-2007, 04:55 AM
That's good to hear because I ordered the AFX kit for my Chevelle. It should be here in the next week or two.

ullose2
08-02-2007, 06:24 AM
I def agree! I couldnt be happier with how their parts improved my Chevelle. The difference was like night and day.

Heath

Sue
08-02-2007, 02:55 PM
+5.

Damn True
08-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Any before/after lap times?

ponchopwr70
08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
No lap times for me. I would really like to take my car to an autocross or track event but I don't think there is anything that close to me and I don't want to get a special license and have to travel 5 hours to race. But back to the topic, my friend bought a 06' gto and I smoked him many times around corners (I also smoked him in every drag race and braking). I took him for a ride down a real smooth twisty road near my house and we went over 90 around a corner with no problems at all. He said his gto would not handle like mine. I know that the new gto isn't a vette but its still a decent car to be able to beat. My suspension isn't all out race car, I just went with all of Marc's suggestions and its a real treat to drive.

Damn True
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Go to the SCCA website and find the link to the NE region. There are auto-x events all over the place. You might have to take a ferry to LI at the furthest.

ponchopwr70
08-03-2007, 09:51 AM
O.k I'll take a look. Do these events usually require a special license? Just looked it up and found a solo event in Devens Ma. No special license just helmet and its 1.5 hours away, in the first week of october. I think I'm going to go, thanks!

Damn True
08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
You need to be a member.

Norm Peterson
08-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Unless New England Region has changed their requirements since they last updated their website, membership is not required. But best to contact them to be sure. http://www.ner.org/solo/faq.htm

I think there's another group that runs auto-X events in CT, although I'm not sure just where. Check the CART (that's for Connecticut Autocross & Rally Team, Inc) link at http://www.autox4u.com/schedule.htm Corporate internet filters won't let me go there (Sports-related).

Norm

Lowend
08-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I installed a set of their upper control arms on my 2nd gen Camaro... as some of you know its a pretty hardcore Auto-x car.
I'm impressed; it allowed me to dial in a lot of extra castor which really makes the car turn in well.
ON the minus I we did have to do some fairly heavy cutting on the upper a-arm towers to make them clear properly.

For a race car, SC&C is my 1st choice no doubt.
For a street car, I think the Global West / DSE stuff is a probably a better way to go as they are more plug and play

Marcus SC&C
08-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! :thankyou:

Lowend, just to be clear the 2nd gen arms do sometimes require a little clearancing (although I`ve installed them on some 2nd gens that didn`t need any tweaking at all and some only needed a little on one side,yeah the factory tolerances are that big!). `68-`72 A bodys need the front gusset trimmed back a little so it matches the rear one but other than that (which takes about 5 minutes to do) the SPC adj. arms are just as plug and play as any other arms on the market. :twothumbs Mark SC&C

ErikSOCAL
08-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I just ran an equal number of grade 8 washers on each side on my 2nd gen camaro to get the clearance. Is there any problem with that?

jerome
08-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I had to run one washer on each stud to clear a small hump in the middle. I would assume its just fine to do that. They put alignment shims there anyways on a normal arm.

Lowend
08-04-2007, 10:31 AM
It was probably a combo of me being super picky, and being a unlucky on the tolerance side of things. I am very happy with the performance of the arms

CTravis
08-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Corporate internet filters won't let me go there (Sports-related).

Norm proxy it lol

Lowend
08-05-2007, 06:13 AM
http://www.browseatwork.com/

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
08-05-2007, 08:48 AM
No lap times, sorry. Like I said though the car is a whole lot more predictable,neutral and precise. Before the car cornered flat, but alway felt it wanted to be somewhere else, like the next lane. It would push to the edge of traction loss then the back end would break loose like snap oversteer.

BonzoHansen
08-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Since we're giving props and I never really posted finished pics...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/08/th_IMG_0902-1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/SIBLY/My77Z28/IMG_0902.jpg) https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/05/th_IMG_1020s-1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/SIBLY/My77Z28/IMG_1020s.jpg)

I got my arms & Howe tall lower ball joints from Marcus. He was also very helpful when ever I called, and he loves to talk 2nd gens. LOL

For future readers: buy those hex sleeves. It is a no-brainer. I used gr8 washers to shim them to accomodate the shape of the cross shaft. I did have to lightly peen (ie BFH time) the mounts to clear the arms for droop.

If I had wanted to run -1.1* or more camber, I could have run 8*+ caster (I tried for S&G). I ended up running ~5.5* caster, -.6* camber and slight toe-in. Car drives great, turns like a champ. Also running 3rd gen WS6 box, GW LCA & body bushings, Hotchkis TVS, Alston Racing SFC, 12" rotors, R4S pads&shoes.

:hah: My car is tremendously under-tired (245-60-15). As expected. That is for another budget....

ErikSOCAL
08-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I noticed you mounted the balljoints from under the arm...crap, I put mine throught the top.

that serpentine set up looks slick... if only...budget, budget...

Norm Peterson
08-08-2007, 05:21 AM
proxy it lolI'm afraid that I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :dunno:

Sorry for the off-topic

CTravis
08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
You might get fired, but you can go to either kproxy.com or ninjaproxy.com and then go to the site...basically those sites will bypass your company's security setttings and pull the page up for you instead of you going directly to the website. My company (an ISP) will fire us if we pull up a site through a proxy site.

Lowend
08-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Mark - just an FYI - my buddy Cliff with the '70 Vette ran with his new A-arms for the first time this weekend and the car absolutely shreds now.
Just the perfect amount of turn in, with the backend kicking out a little under throttle.
He added the a-arms, the Howe BJ's and a Guldstrand Spreader bar and is really pleased

Marcus SC&C
08-22-2007, 02:40 PM
That`s exactly what we like to hear! :woot:

If I remember the story right you guys ran pretty close before but the Vette usually ran a little faster than your Camaro until you added the StreetComp package. Who ran quicker this time? :naughty: Mark SC&C

Lowend
08-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I didn't run... got called into work and had to shuttle a bunch of trucks from San Jose to Pebble Beach (Concours) on Sunday morning. I just stopped by later to say hi and saw Cliff run.

ponchopwr70
08-23-2007, 03:47 AM
I should have some times in october. I'm going to my first autocross Oct. 7, also I have a few buddies going (06' gto, 03' mustang gt and an 04' cobra I think).