PDA

View Full Version : Removing a leaf...

jknight16
08-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Before you read this, understand that I am new to a lot of things and I'm learning as I go. With that said...my 69 camaro currently has multi-leafs in back that have had an additional leaf (or two) added when new leafs were installed in order to clear some old pro-street type tires. I'm now trying to undo this and was hoping to get some insight into the process of removing a leaf from the leaf pack. There are currently SIX (that's right, stinkbug style!!) leafs in the pack and I'd like to remove one.

If I leave the springs bolted into the car and utilize big C-clamps (note the plural here clampS) to hold the other 5 leafs together, can I simply unbolt the pack and remove the sixth leaf, then re-bolting the pack and cutting the excess stud? Or is this process likely to send me to the hospital?

Further, how much drop do you guys figure I would get by removing one 6"-8" long leaf? From the ground to the top of the wheel lip I am currently at 29.5 inches, running a 26.1" tall tire.

Thanks guys

jaybee
08-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Each of the leaves has a little more arch than you can see when the spring pack is assembled. The center bolt holds them all together tightly so there is some preload. You can't just cut it. If you take a great big C clamp or two you can cut the bolt then back off the clamps until the preload is removed. It isn't as dangerous as letting a coil spring under load get loose but it's enough preload that you want to be careful.

jknight16
08-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, I removed a small square plate and one 6" long spring from the pack and I got about 1/16" drop out of it. I now have a total of five leafs in the pack and I'm still riding way high. Oh well, guess I'll have to just rock it stinkbug style til I get some lowering blocks or some other springs made.

Thanks for your input Jaybee