PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Tall Spindle with front steer for 68 camaro

68rsss
07-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I need to drop the front end so I was thinking about using a taller chevelle or impala spindle since I'm using brp's front steer rack. I found adjustable offset uca for the f body but before I order a bunch of parts has anyone tried this before? It should work right?
Thanks

68rsss
07-28-2007, 07:40 AM
anyone?

Larry Callahan
07-28-2007, 08:03 AM
You might try rewording the subject line. It looks like a part wanted ad until you open it.

derekf
07-28-2007, 08:03 AM
I don't know for sure - but I'd be willing to bet that if it worked, lots of folks would be doing it. I believe you can use the later Impala spindle (at least the rear steer folks can) but it boogers up your bumpsteer.

Marcus SC&C
07-28-2007, 09:01 AM
68 rsss,just about anything is possible but is the juice worth all the squeezin? B spindles would lock you into a steering arm height and length then you have precious little choice of where the R&P goes if you want good bumpsteer/ackerman etc. You may have to really cut,bend,fold,spindle and mutilate the subframe to get it where it needs to be. If I were you I`d use a taller spindle with bolt on steering arms so you have a LOT more choices and the ability to tweak things on both ends of the system. My top choice would be AFX spindles because their height and offset etc. are already optimized for the car and they`re ready to accept big,modern brakes. Bolt on stock or ATS Chevelle steering arms already gives you twice as many choices and since they bolt on it`s not hard to have custom ones fabbed if need be. Mark SC&C

Derek,that`s the understatement of the year. It`s off by several inches. To raise the R&P enough to make those spindles work you`d have to raise the engine about 2". The the ackerman and steering ratios would also be tough to get back in a decent range. :hammer:

68rsss
07-28-2007, 09:29 AM
thanks guys. What I have now is BRP'S 4th gen disc brake conversion for drum spindles and BRP's front steer 4th gen stock rack. The car I have now had a BB and now with the LS1 it looks to be a foot off the ground (or close). I do have a set of 6cy and SB springs available. I want to get the front end down low with coil overs but the brp brake kit will not work with drop spindles. I don't know the best way to get it lowered with what I have and not start over. I like the front steer rack so if i used a spindle that was taller and setup for front steer I'm assuming it would work fine. I have a buddy that has both an A body chevelle spindle and the taller impala spindle. SPC seams to be the only company that offers the f body 6.5" cross bar 8-10" adjustable uca and the rep lives only blocks away from my home.

68rsss
07-28-2007, 09:50 AM
after reading more about the AFX spindle it looks like I can keep the front steer R&P.

pdq67
08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Stupid question, but why not install a 2nd Gen. S/F and a fast ratio steering gearbox and be done w/ it??

You get!!

Taller spindles stock or the Big-Car/1Le Camaro taller ones too;

12" disc brakes can be fitted using the Big-Car/1Le parts;

Better front roll center height; and finally

FRONT STEER!!

pdq67