PDA

View Full Version : What Mods for 502 RJ Ignition

tomspo04
07-19-2007, 04:27 AM
Is there anything I need to do to the stock RJ ignition, or is it good as is. It works as is, but during some past troublshooting spark didn't seem to be all that strong. Also, if looking for "upgrades" i.e. coli, cap, rotor, etc. for this setup, what is the inginition type/name, other than HEI? Thanks, in advance...

EFI69Cam
07-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Its a small cap hei. Any ignition that will fit a tpi camaro will work.

The Accel 300+ works real well.

tomspo04
07-21-2007, 09:04 PM
EFI, Thanks for the help. For a while there, I thought I was on my own. Is this ignition pretty good in stock form, or does it need to be woken up? Thanks, again.

Tom

pushrod243
07-22-2007, 12:05 PM
I think its pretty good in stock form. My RJ 502 has been switched over to a Fast xfi computer and I am still using the stock dist. It has been 11.70's in the qtr mile and runs great. I have the motor plumbed for Nitrous but havent used it yet as there is already traction problems with the power I have on street tires.

EFI69Cam
07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
EFI, Thanks for the help. For a while there, I thought I was on my own.:nopity: Is this ignition pretty good in stock form, or does it need to be woken up? Thanks, again.

Tom

I'd just swap the coil. MSD makes a nice one that uses the same brackets.

tomspo04
08-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Great info. Thanks guys... I'm away from the car right now, but am war gaming what I might want to do when I get home. Before I left I bought the MEFI4B programable ECU/software, 1300CFM Monoblade TB and 50" injectors from AZ Speed and Marine. I installed all of it and ran it with the load they furnished. I was told that it would run well enough with that. It ran WAY too rich, so rich that I couldn't keep it running more then 2 minutes before it fouled out! I didn't have the time to learn enough about the software and mapping to mess with it. I put the stock stuff back in the car so that I could get the car over to paint. Once I get back, and have some spare time, I'll see what I can do about messing with the AZ S&M stuff.