PDA

View Full Version : Ride quality expectations

Boulder69
07-15-2007, 03:46 PM
So my progress so far on my car has really only amounted to springs, shocks, and swaybar. The front is a huge improvement in every way, but the rear rides really poor. I have 3" drop DSE rear leafs with their Koni Reds. Any bump, crack, etc. of any size just beats the hell out of the car and me. I know the travel is minimal now, but it seems to bottom on everything. I just bolted on the shocks right out of the box and now wonder if the adjustablity will help here. Anyone have this setup that can share some experience? Anything else I can do or is this the way it is until I can wrap up the rest of my projects and finally afford a LD 3-link?

If anyone knows how the Konis adjust please post up as well. Thanks!

MrQuick
07-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Most of my cars are set at 1 1/4 back out and they feel nice.Try to adjust and experiment a bit... But even a shock set to full firm should not be that harsh. My guess is that you are riding on your suspension bump stops. One way to tell (next to crawling under and measuring) is to apply some white grease to the rubber and take her for a ride. Then look for grease on the metal contact points.

If the are too close you will have to modify for more clearance. I hope you don't have to go into the frame rails. Remember they are there for a reason so don't run with out them.

Napa69
07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey guys- I have a related question to suspension set up. I just bought a 69 which has the Hotchkis 2 in lowering springs up front but on the rear the previous owner just dearched the leafs. It has QA1's with the rear being 12 way adjustable. The problem I have is the back of the car rides horrible. I know with lowering you sacrafice ride quality but it cant be this rough. I figured that the rear shocks were not adjusted properly so I have played with them which has helped but they seem to either still bottom out or end up too stiff. I like the stance and want to keep the ride height the same. Do you guys think the rear shocks are shot (about 4 years old) or do you think I need to replace the leafs with matching Hotchkis or DSE drop springs? I called QA1 and they recommended I start the adjustment at 4 and stiffen from there. 4 still bottoms out and anything over 6 is too stiff. I tested the bottoming out by putting zip ties on the shocks and after a short ride they were beat to hell...I'll try the white grease too...any sugestions on dialing it in?
Thanks for your thoughts

P.S. Vince, where you guys located? I am in Napa and might be interested in talking about having some work done like on your hompage.
Jeff

MrQuick
07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
pm sent Jeff. Sounds like you might be having the same problem.