PDA

View Full Version : Jrs camaro front bracing

WS6
07-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Please excuse my lack of picture posting abilities with this thread. I am referencing Dale Jr's DSE built camaro. pictures are everywhere on this site and DSE's.

What I am curious to know is, the front subframe bracing that was done to his car. Is it enough to support and strengthen the front of a second gen to the point that the fenders no longer need to be structural? I have the hair brain idea to some how brace the front sub frame of my TA in such a manner that I can then remove weight off the front of the car by removing the extra bracing from the fenders and maybe even making composite inner fenders among other things. I am not planning a cage in my car at this time. So would something similar to what was done to his car accomplish my goal? Any one have another or better idea maybe?

Thanks

David Pozzi
07-15-2007, 11:33 AM
It's going to be a wash as far as front end weight. By the time you add the bracing, then modify the fenders, I'll bet the front weight is going to be about the same as stock or maybe a bit heavier.

Notice DSE used not only their stiffer front subframe, but added the bracing PLUS used the steel fenders and inner fenders.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

WS6
07-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Very true and I think it may end up being a waste of my time. Really I guess I was hoping to minimize the number of braces I used while maximizing their effectiveness. I know the triangulation bars that are out there work. I plan to do more than just those but didn't want to get out of hand if I could do it a different way.