PDA

View Full Version : Slamming a '71 mustang

hossdoc
07-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I need some help working out the kinks in lowering my '71 mustang. I have chosen a ride height for the car. I have lowered the front 3 inches from stock and the rear 2 inches; ie 24 inches from ground to wheel flare in front and 25 rear. Good, bad or indifferent, I have chosen to stay with stock control arms due to expense. I have performed the "Shelby" mod by lowering the inner attachment of the UCA 1 inch at the advise of an over zealous salesman for the template to do so. Although I have seen kits labled with a greater drop for the UCA. I added a negative wedge kit because the upper ball joint was binding at the lowered ride height. The LCA sits only 1.25 inches from the frame rail and the upper ball joint sits on the factory bounce bumper. I can fab and bracket for the bumper but am concerned about only having 2 inches of bump travel. Also, the UCA is at a pretty steep angle and the shock doesn't seat in the center of the mounting hole.
I don't want to raise the ride height but don't want an unsafe or poor performing car; hoping to do some open track stuff occasionally. Are dropped spindles the answer? Has anyone really reworked the geometry for the 71?

louie@g-machine
07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
A drop spindle has its good and bad characteristics, as mentioned here
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16609
I know the early mustang geometry very well, to the point of reciting the x,y,z coordinates of each pickup point by heart. We are currently attempting to get a drop spindle done for the early mustangs but have very little time to pursue products like we want to. I will let you read the other thread to answer the technical side, but if you have further questions dont hesitate to call or email me. Also, if you are in the so-cal area try and stop by to see the prototype spindle.