PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro headliner search

quadfather
12-27-2004, 03:56 PM
has anyone found a company that makes a newer style headliner with the hard cardboard like backing used in late model cars, with the foamy type upohlstry. also if i cant find one i do have someone willing to make a fiberglass mold of it that could be covered. but a one-off piece would be expensive, and wondered if anyone else was interested in one, i think it would really update the look.

boodlefoof
12-27-2004, 08:24 PM
I recently did this to my '68 Camaro. You can see pictures on my website link in my signature. Click the "68 Camaro" link, then the "interior" link. It should be around "page 12-18" of the writeup.

I looked around for awhile for info on retrofitting an old car with a new style headliner and couldn't find much. I called some local upholstery shops and they told me I was nuts... Finally I found a place that said they would do it for me... but would charge about $600. So, I decided to do it myself.

Found some of that heavy cardboard backing, some foam-backed felt and used DAP WeldWood adhesive to stick it all together. Took the better part of two or three days to get it all fitted up and finished. Turned out really slick though.

ViperBlue68
12-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Quadfather try this place www.ajcustoms.com they make a fiberglass headliner for $300.00 sounds like a good deal to me :dunno: I found them while looking for Carbon Fibre Interior links....click on the interior link then the headliner link.... Goodluck hope it helps

quadfather
12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
thanks viper blue your'e the man! i don't know how you found that but it should work perfect.

Bill Howell
12-29-2004, 05:23 PM
J T you are the Mann!!!!!!!! :hail:

Larry and/or Ralph, :attn:
It would be nice if we had a sticky thread(? or somewhere) we could put website addresses like this for future referance. I looked for someone like this when I restored my car and I am sure there have been others too. We may already have such a place, I just don't know where to look. Just a thought.... :dunno:

ViperBlue68
12-29-2004, 07:14 PM
quadfather, Im glad it helped this site has helped me alot with ideas :idea: and tech info jus thought id tried to return the favor :cheers: my car gets out of final detail next week i hope to figure out how to make my pix smaller so i can post them my one off interior came out very nice not to toot my own horn heh :postpics:
oh yah and bill (46 yr old kid) thas what the licensce says *lol*

CAMAROBOY69
12-30-2004, 04:55 AM
This is an excellent thread!! I was also going to do the same thing to my Camaro. Since everything else in my car is modern I was planning on installing my own headliner. There are some really good ideas listed in here.
boodlefoof has a full detail write up on his site. Very very nice job with the write up on the install of the headliner and everything else you have done to your car. :icon996:

quadfather
12-30-2004, 05:32 AM
maybe if there is enough interest we could put together a group buy from this company? :icon996:

CAMAROBOY69
12-30-2004, 05:36 AM
I dont know if I would be interrested in the fiberglass liner. I would prefer the fabric liner like boodlefoof installed. He also said he installed it himself for under $100.00 Sounds like my kind of bargain. I guess fabric could be installed over the fiberglass but that just adds more money to the initial project.

boodlefoof
12-30-2004, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the compliments Camaroboy69,

It wasn't really difficult to do, but it took a couple of days... lots of cut and fit, cut and fit. The main difficulty I had was that I couldn't find a cardboard backing piece big enough so I had to scab two together... it is hard to scab them together when you're trying to keep them in a bowed shape... took a little fenangling.

MarkM66
12-30-2004, 08:06 AM
I dont know if I would be interrested in the fiberglass liner. I would prefer the fabric liner like boodlefoof installed. He also said he installed it himself for under $100.00 Sounds like my kind of bargain. I guess fabric could be installed over the fiberglass but that just adds more money to the initial project.

An interior shop would cover it with headliner material for less then $100. Or you could have them order the material, and do it yourself.

Steve1968LS2
12-30-2004, 08:23 AM
I like it.. that would be perfect for my car and I already have the fabric to cover it... I wonder what it weighs? I also wonder if its "noisy".. you know rattles and squeeks..

$300 seems like a good price.. it would cost more than that to have one fabbed up at an interior shop..

MuscleRodz
12-30-2004, 09:14 AM
One thing to consider, I don't think it would be an easy install if you have a welded in roll bar. I like it to, but I don't think it will work around my roll bar.

Mike

Bill Howell
12-30-2004, 09:34 AM
The main difficulty I had was that I couldn't find a cardboard backing piece big enough so I had to scab two together... it is hard to scab them together when you're trying to keep them in a bowed shape... took a little fenangling.

Just a hint here guys if you get into this. I have a countertop shop and when we make templates for custom tops we have to bond cardboard together all the time. We use that "glue in a aerosol can" stuff you can buy at lowes or home depot. Spray and stick together and now you have a template that will bend and form and is more durable than single piece. Just overlap about 12".(now that ya'll know a trade secret, I may have to kill you :naughty: )

Bowtie racing
02-04-2014, 09:11 PM
I cant get ajcustoms page open.. Out of business?

Any other ideas where to get one piece headliner?