PDA

View Full Version : Suspension/Steering Components & Paint

NvrDun71
06-27-2007, 11:11 AM
This may be the wrong section but will tie rod ends, idler/pitman arms rust if not painted? I am currently replacing them all and assume they would and will need to be painted to prevent corrosion, but just wanted to double check. Thanks-

And yes I realize this is a stupid question, but figured I would ask anyway.....:pat:

jaybee
06-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Yes, but they're sturdy enough that a little surface rust won't compromise the structure.

6'9"Witha69
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I've never painted them.

NvrDun71
06-28-2007, 07:39 AM
I've never painted them.

Have they rusted?

parsonsj
06-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Obviously unpainted steel parts will rust. The OEMs don't paint them to save money (see 4th gen F-body, rear differential housing).

Since these parts aren't going to harbor moisture (like the back of a quarter panel or a rocker panel), and since it will take decades of normal use for the oxidation to compromise the structure, it's perfectly fine to leave them unpainted.

As for me, I like nickel and cad coatings, or satin black powder coat. Even low gloss rattle can paint can hold up for years if applied correctly.

jp

6'9"Witha69
06-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Have they rusted?No, but in the past my car has always seemed to have good rust countermeasures (leaky something) to keep everything well coated and protected.

Seriously though, in a clean enviropnment with normal type use I have never seen these types of unpainted/treated parts rust.

jerome
06-28-2007, 09:40 AM
it seems like all the tie rods end up greasy and oily from the engine or from greasing the ends. If you go look at a steel warehouse, all the metal is black with millscale and grease and it doesn't rust. I'm not sayng that steering stuff has millscale on it, but it just doesn't really rust much. A couple coats of epoxy primer would make it look great though.

LS6 Tommy
06-29-2007, 07:34 PM
If they're forged or cast, a good spraying of Wurth Rostoff with the excess wiped off will keep them like new for years. I've been using it on stuff for years and it always makes me laugh when people ask how old the parts are and they don't believe me when I tell them they're not new.

Tommy

Chevy
06-29-2007, 11:57 PM
the answer to this question really lies in where you live and/or store your car. I live in hawaii where the humidity hovers around 80% year round. The stainless steel cross-shafts on my upper a-arms from DSE are rusted, and they've only been on the car for 2 years! My tie rod ends looked like **** after 2 months. I painted everything but the threads, and the threads that weren't used are completely rusted up. So where do you live and where will the car be stored?

HILROD
06-30-2007, 07:21 AM
I paint all my new suspension parts when new, for anything other than a daily driver. It only takes a minute or so and lasts forever. I just wipe them down, rattle can etch prime, and spray a coat or two of color. You can just barely see the tie rods in a pic in my PT Garage. I do the steering boxes too.:bananna2:

ProBell
06-30-2007, 08:30 AM
If you do not want to paint them, another trick is to spray them with WD-40 once and a wile. I have run unpainted pipes on my snowmobiles for years and just spray them with WD every couple rides and they never rust. I also use it to keep the aluminum from oxidizing.
I worked on a Busch North car for years. They always painted the suspension components so that cracks would show up and be easy to find. Randy