PDA

View Full Version : tri five air bar

55chevyman
06-17-2007, 10:40 AM
i was wanting to no any info on the air bar for my 55 though i was curious because i dont want air bags could i take and replace them with coilovers and shocks?

MonzaRacer
06-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Honestly, After almost 3 yaers on my ART stuf in my 78C10 I love it.Its so much fun to eat ricers on off ramps.
Why would you not want air springs?
If you want to switch to coil overs just upgrade to ShockWaves, they are made to be a drop in and you really dont need a lot of hardware to run it. It can be ran a simple as a large pump and paddle switches but the rise time if you drop it will be long but you can add in a small tank and have great ride and its adjustable.
I know of one fella who had a triangulated 4 link with coil overs, and had to climb under everytime he had to load up for trip and take all three of his kids to raise it up. We switched him over to ShockWaves and is thrilled with the ride.
He was unsure about a tank so he simply built a mount and bought a pertable airtank that was chrome and used a quick connect. He can un latch it and leave it and rise time but with it in his system goes much faster.
His ridepro valves are hidden on the frame and the lines areactually made from the stainless version of brakes lines on his 57. for the most part proper instaltio was asy and its fairly very much hidden and his controls are in the glovebox. He is soon going to add on air to the front and use level prop and the remote kit too.
He was very unsatisfied with coil overs, and after 4 different sets/brands. He nevergot it to drive as good as it does now.
We both went to Indy one night and almost got into a wwreck on the off ramp but the handling was spectacular, hardly any body roll, dead neutral even on grass (and he used to dirt burn some)with big rubber.
But yes you can run coil overs with it. PM Darren@ridetech on here.
Good luck which ever way you go.

55chevyman
06-17-2007, 11:12 AM
thanks for all of the info. so if i decide to go with the airbar and use the air springs i can mount the tank right behing my back seat in the trunk or where ever? is it a direct bolt in or is welding required? and is this somthing my dad and i could do in our garage in an afternoon?

MonzaRacer
06-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Well if I had my druthers I would simply bolt it down in between the wheel wells, the compressor can go anywhere you want.
I called a buddy and he came up with a new idea, he put 2 big magnets on the bottom of a portable tank and keeps it in trunk if he needs air as well as having a mounted tank elsewhere.
Yes I believe you and your dad could get it done in a weekend if not a long day.
Me and my brother installed the Cool ride in the front of my truck on labor day '04 in about 4 hours.
The rear suspension we removed and installed the air springs and parralell 4 link, we started in at about 6pm on Monday and we finished up about 2 am.
We got a late start but I had already installed my air tank, and axle brackets.
so yeah you could probably get it done fairly quick and my stuff wasnt true bolt on, I made it bolt on.
I am going to run air ride on my 77 Monza and the air tank is gonna be an old NOS bottle.
As for the air bar as far I know all of the kits require very limited or no welding,,,simple bolt in from what I heard
The big ticket is to look at this link: http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/55-57chevy.asp
This has all of the stuf availableand you can look around for other things.
Figure it this way the tri 5 stuff has a great following my Hbody has nothing so I have to try and design everything my self.
BUT the ride is incredible and you will never believe how good your car could handle till you get it on air and crank some pounds in and drive.
Good luckand ask any questions you want and talk to ART. The guys are much more familar with instals on other vehicles. But I can give ideas and ber a sounding board.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

55chevyman
06-18-2007, 03:23 PM
thanks for all the info. condsidering it but we are a good ways from the back end so will have time to decide.

darren@ridetech
06-19-2007, 06:14 AM
You can actually get that same setup from Chassis Works with coil overs. But if you want the best ride I would stick with the Shockwaves. If you don't want to install a compressor kit, you could just air them up manually with a schraeder valve.

MonzaRacer
06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey i did that with the CoolRide springs on my 71 Monte back in 98 before the 98 Power Tour. Awesome set up and as easy as air shocks but with better ride.

darren@ridetech
06-22-2007, 05:34 AM
If someone is really against putting a compressor kit on the car, a schrader valve will get the job done. But like Monza said, you would be missing out on so many of the benefits of an air suspension system. Being able to adjust the spring rate on the fly is a very useful tool; be it when loading the car down with extra passengers & luggage, lowering it for a nice stance at the show or even at the track.

This system is mostly bolt-on exect the 4 link axle brackets, they must be welded to the axle tube. We moved everything to the inside of the frame rail to gain tire clearance, so there is really no way to bolt it on. The rest is bolt-in, just a matter of drilling a couple holes. Besides a welder the only specialty tool that is required would be an angle finder to set the drive line angles. You should be able to accomplish this install in an afternoon.

55chevyman
06-22-2007, 05:00 PM
im not sure about what all i need but like how much is the air bar / compressor and what ever else i would need?

darren@ridetech
06-25-2007, 06:59 AM
The AirBar system with the Shockwaves retails for $1995. A good 2 way compressor system with electric valves will be $699. Are you thinking about doing the front as well?

55chevyman
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
i havent decided yet though i might, how much would the front cost me?

MonzaRacer
06-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Looks like $549.
Here is the link.
http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/coolride.asp
You can also use paddle switches like I did and guages. I have 3 paddle switches and 3 guages. Split front and single to rear.
Heck you can even air the springs/shockwaves with a small air compressor that plugs in but its limitless on your combo.
I figure on trying to set my Monza up with ShockWaves in front and CoolRide in back (custom made by me) and digital guages that time.
A little planning goes a long way and think the process out soem and you can have a great suspension.
I intend, down the road, to make my truck all electric but for now it has ran almost 3 yrs with paddle switches.
Heck in the Monza I intend to use an old NOS bottle to be my air tank,,,and fool the "others" and make it look cooler.
Lee

darren@ridetech
06-26-2007, 06:52 AM
The CoolRide kit works well up front, but with a wide tire you might loose a bit of turning radius. I would consider the Shockwave. It uses a billet aluminum adjustable shock that is inside the air spring. Easier install, better performance, cleaner look. They retail at $849 per pair. If you get the Shockwaves with upper and lower StrongArms you would be looking at $1499.

A complete kit price with Shockwaves and StrongArms up front, AirBar w/ Shockwaves in the rear and a good RidePro e2 4 way compressor system will run around $4900. Here is a link to the RidePro e2 & LevelPro Compressor systems. The LevelPro is basically the same as the E2, but also includes the height sensors.
http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/rideproe.asp
http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/levelpro.asp