PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat Cost

paulk68
06-17-2007, 05:04 AM
I am looking to get my 68 camaro sub frame powder coated. i was wondering what an average price is for this type of job. also do you recomend haveing it clear coated as well.
thanks for the help
Paul

Oh yeah does anybody have any first hand experiance with any powdercoaters in the connecticut area??

jerome
06-17-2007, 07:59 PM
cost me $350 for sandblast, powdercoat silver, and clearcoat of whole S-10 frame bare.(Tacoma, WA)

The guy said that it would be cheaper for black, cause he wouldn't have to clear it. I guess it must have something to do with the powder they use for different colors.

HotRod68Camaro
06-18-2007, 07:09 AM
here in houston i got quoted for $275 for black powder on my 68 subframe, that included sand blasting but not a clear coat

paulk68
06-18-2007, 03:07 PM
that gives me an idea has ANYBODY ELSE had this done
thanks

69bigblock
06-19-2007, 05:37 AM
Never had it done, but here's a few,

http://www.beckerspowderhouse.com/

http://northeastcoatings.net/index.php

Chevy
06-19-2007, 06:32 AM
It cost me $400 to have my subframe, spindles, drag link, and idler arm done at the same time. This included sand blasting, but not clear coat. My understanding clear is not needed since the powdercoat is glossey unless they put a deglosser in it. The powdercoat has been on my car in humid Hawaii for three years and my DSE A-arms are all rusted, but my subframe looks great. Since I live in Hawaii cost is a little more and there is only 1 powdercoater on island, so we are a little captive but i think they are fair.

I highly recommend smoothing your entire subframe really well before having it powdercoated. What look like minor imperfections in the factory welds will look hideous after powdercoating if you don't clean them up beforehand. If i had it to do over i would go over all welds/seams and fill them in with the mig and then grind everything super smooth, then powdercoat.

Good luck!

jy211
06-19-2007, 06:35 AM
was quoted $500 to powdercoat my whole 55' Chevy frame black....this is in South Florida.

GetMore
06-19-2007, 08:44 AM
I have used Beckers. They are in Waterbury, right off Route 8, toward Torrington.
It cost me $300 for them to sandblast my clean subframe and put two coats on it. The first was a zinc-rich primer coat, and the second was a semigloss black.
Beckers insists on sandblasting the parts you bring them so they will be sure any oil or other contaminates are removed, and that the surface is prepared. Their sandblasting cost is hourly, so the longer it takes the more you will pay. So, if you'd like to save yourself some money steam clean your subframe first. Then the blasting cost is negligible.

The zinc-rich primer is one of those things that you probably don't need. Actually, in theory you shouldn't need it, since powercoating should seal everything from the elements. I did it just for the hell of it.

Under the car I don't think you need to worry about clear. I think it provides UV protection, so the color won't fade.

Beckers has, in their showroom a Nova subframe that has three stages, zinc primer, black, and clear. It belongs to Bob, the salesman.

paulk68
06-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks very much guys, Getmore i really appreciate the help i will have to go and talk to them it sounds like a fair price.
thanks

pav8427
06-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Make sure to check out the powder coaters. There's different qualities of both materials and painters.
Check with local manufacturers that get their work done some place other than doing it themselves. They pass on the product,so the quality
has to be most times better than what a 'walk in' gets.

Doug

68sixspeed
06-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Paul- Another good one is Central CT coatings in east hartford (use to be Airborn Coatings)- they have one of the bigger ovens around- they can do the entire car underbody too if you don't mind the body filler and seam sealer getting baked out of it. Becker's are nice people too, but there oven is small and I've had fish-eye issues on large items. They are really well priced on suspension and small items though. -Dan

paulk68
06-20-2007, 03:48 AM
thanks again guys for all the great info it looks like i better start calling around.