PDA

View Full Version : Rear Suspension ready to final weld

Davezz28
12-23-2004, 10:11 AM
I finally have my rear suspension on my 69 camaro ready to final weld.

The previous owner of the car cut the wheel wells, trunk pan, and center hump between the wheel wells up with a cutting torch to try to tub the car. I have had to replace every thing from the seam behind the rear seat to the rear of the car.

I was going to build a 3 link but was not real confident on the crossmember construction so I fell back on my original plan, a 4 bar patterned after the suspension in the Mule.

Dave

Matt@RFR
12-23-2004, 10:35 AM
You're going to hate yourself for not grinding the paint and rust off the floor where you're going to weld the upper link mounts!

Davezz28
12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Actually I have cleaned up the whole area, that picture was taken when I was checking the fit.

The real bear is getting all the galvinized coating off the frames and substructures to get a clean weld. One little area of that stuff and what a mess when you try to weld.

Matt@RFR
12-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Good man!

Yeah, galvy sucks. It IS weldable though, just ugly. Or should that be "weldthroughable"?

I didn't know OEM cars had any galvy on them.

B Schein
12-23-2004, 12:47 PM
As far as I know all camaros had galvanized rockers and rear frame rails ant least that the way my car is.

Brian

Ralph LoGrasso
12-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Hey Dave, Looks like a killer suspension setup you got there. Keep us updated!

for the galvy question, my '96 Tahoe has all galvinized sheet metal.