PDA

View Full Version : AGR rack in stock subframe?

HotRod68Camaro
06-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Since it appears that 21st, AME, and the wayne due subframe all use/d the same AGR rack (i am assuming it is the same rack), would it be possible to fit it in my stock '68 subframe? I have had the BRP kit since it first came out and at the time didn't know that the turning radius sucked (about the same as my crew cab long bed truck). I dont want to go back to a stock style suspension b/c i already have the Stainless Works ls1 conversion headers and the cost to go back to a stock style would be too much for me.

dhutton
06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm not an expert but from what I have seen the issue with the BRP setup is those long steering arms. The arms are long because he could not get the rack in any closer to the subframe crossmember. I think this in turn limited the turning radius because the rack runs out of travel before the wheels are turned to their max. To fix it I think the new rack would have to mount closer to the crossmember so the length of the steering arms could be reduced. Either that or you would need a rack with greater travel. At least that is how it looks to me. Hopefully one of the suspension gurus will speak up.

Don

KHShapiro
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM
anyone else?

hotrdblder
06-09-2007, 03:14 PM
i am not sure if he wants to mount it in rear steer, if so its a no go, if he wants to mount it in front, have fun mounting it and even more fun making steering arms.

greggutknecht
06-12-2007, 06:39 AM
I had a 72 ventura i mounted a mustang 2 rack in and it worked fine.If you would like to know how i went about it feel free to call any time.Thanks Greg 608-295-1521

HotRod68Camaro
06-13-2007, 01:28 PM
dhutton - i am not sure what you mean by closer to the crossmember, i do wish it had more travel that is for sure.

hotrdbldr - i do mean to front mount it. i figured i could use the BRP steering arms i already have.

greggutknecht - do you have any pics?

dhutton
06-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I was trying to say the the rack appears to be too far forward from the pivot point of the spindles. This makes the steering arms long which means that the rack does not have enough travel to turn the wheels all the way. He couldn't move it any closer because the crossmember is in the way. I'm sure someone could explain this better than me.

The bottom line is long steering arms are not a good thing and the BRP steering arms appear to be quite long. Using a different rack may not help the situation.

Don