PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen f-body- shock choices

Phishfud
06-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I have installed Hotchkis springs on my 78 TA (f&R), and am in need of some shocks. I know that Hotchkis recommends the Bilstein ones they sell, but they are just way too expensive. I had hoped a nice set of KYB gas-a-justs would do the trick, but not sure how they would be with a lowered car. This will be mostly a street car, so race only setups are not for me. Just an all around nice street car. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Terry

Lowend
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
look over at www.nastyz28.com in the suspension section there is a stickey titled Shock FAQ

Phishfud
06-05-2007, 07:14 PM
cool. thanks for the info.

Jeremy
06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Below the price of the Hotchkiss shocks, I am not sure you are going to see much selection that you will be happy with. Shocks will make or break the ride quality and are best if they are tuned for the springs.

The problem with inexpensive shocks is that you will probably find yourself wanting more down the road and buying new, more expensive shocks anyway.

I would run what you have unless they are unsafe and save for the Hotchkiss. If you find some normal Bilsteins at a price you like I would possibly consider them.

Phishfud
06-06-2007, 04:18 AM
I actually don't have any shocks at the moment, and I'd rather only buy em once. I looked into regular bilsteins, but it seems the ones they make for the 2nd gen are the HD's. From their description, it doesn't sound like they are a real performance shock (like the sports), so I guess I'll pony up for the ones from Hotchkis. At least I'll know they are valved right for my setup.

Terry

O'Neall
06-06-2007, 07:00 AM
I think you'll be happiest if you get the ones Hotchkis has for their springs. I have Konis which are also fantastic shocks, but I do not have Hotchkis springs... if I would have gotten Hotchkis, despite my love for Konis, I'd have gotten their Bilsteins... you just hear too many good things about that combo for it not to be good.

Good luck, I think in the long run you'll be happier you did it "right".:)

Marcus SC&C
06-06-2007, 07:58 AM
I know people don`t like to hear this but shocks are one of those things where you really do get waht you pay for and yes they really do make a BIG difference in how well the car works.
The Hotchkis Bilsteins are a good option. According to Bilstein they`re only about 5%-10% stiffer than their standard shocks but that`s better than nothing. Those or even the std. Bilsteins will work well on the street (as will Konis) and deliver a suprisingly good ride. They`ll work okay for casual autocross but they`re going to be underdampened for any kind of serious use,particularly in rebound. The next step is a good set of adj. shocks. They`re quite a bit more expensive but then again you get a LOT of performance and tunability for the money. Mark SC&C

David Pozzi
06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Also it depends on your tires. The Hotchkis Bilsteins seem to be fine for more common street tires but on DOT race rubber the G forces they can generate require more dampening than they can provide.

They DO ride nice on the street.
David

Phishfud
06-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the help, guys. I would love to get a nice set of adjustables, but since cost is always a factor, I know the hotchkis bilsteins will do the trick. since this car is just a street warrior anyway, which will probably run some BFG Radial TA's, I dont think I need real agressive valving. Now if I decide to get into autocross or something down the road, then an upgrade will be in order. right now, I just wanna get the car finished, which is a monumental task as it is.

Terry

PARKERRS
06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I used the Edelbrock IAS shocks with my hotchkis set-up and have been very happy with them.

Skip Fix
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm still running the Gukdstrand spec Bilsteins front and rear for the past 20 years! Corner great and work great for my suspension in the 1/4 mile puting down 1.51 60 fts with drag springs. Not sure if there is a part number stamped in them.

jeffandre
06-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Check with Frank at GP Superstore for a good price on the Hotchkiss Bilsteins. I got a set about 3 months ago and while I got rid of the boxes they have never been mounted. I would consider selling them for a decent price plus shipping, but can't quote a price until I check my receipt to see what they cost me. I have Vette Brakes epoxymatrix springs and would like to upgrade to double adjustable shocks, so let me know if you are interested.

Bandit
06-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Hotchkis Bilsteins are well worth the money for what they are. If you skimp on shocks there is no point having the Hotchkis springs, because they won't be able to do their job correctly. Save your pocket change and get the right shocks.

Davezz28
06-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I put a set of bilsteins on my 73 Camaro and they ride fairly nice. I have aproximatly the same spring rate as the TVS system, 650/175. I think the bilsteins are around $290 a set and the Hotchkis bilsteins are around 360 a set.

LS6 Tommy
06-16-2007, 07:48 AM
I used the Edelbrock IAS shocks with my hotchkis set-up and have been very happy with them.

X2. I 've used them before on mostly street stuff and have been very happy. I would have used them on the 'Bu but I got an offer to buy a set of brand new AVO Gazzmatic single adjustables for roughly the same cost, so I bit.

Tommy