PDA

View Full Version : 69 bird ls1 radiator options ?

zman1969
12-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey guys i'm installing a LS1 auto in my 69 Firebird and was wondering what everyone else is using in theirs? I have allready bought a ls1 dual fan setup so im looking for a good oe or a/market alum rad that will fit with the fan setup, also rad-outlet diameters so i could use stock ls1 rad hoses? any ideas/ suggestions appreciated :firefire:

Ralph LoGrasso
12-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Go with a Ron Davis Radiator and you won't be disappointed.

That's what I'm using in my '68, and the rad is a work of art. A lot of guys around here are using Ron Davis radiators in their cars so you should be able to get lots of good feedback from everyone. Tim from RDR also posts here, ask for Tim if you call them, he'll hook you up.

Most of their rads are custom built to order, so I don't think you'll have any problems getting those options you mentioned.

www.rondavisradiators.com

Rybar
12-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I was wondering about this as well, do you need a "special" type of rad for an LS1 retrofit? or will a standard rad work?

JL8Jeff
12-23-2004, 02:37 PM
The inlet and outlet hoses for the LT1/LS1 are around 1-1/4" and most radiators are 1-1/2 and 1-3/4". The 84-89 Corvette radiator is 1-5/16" I think so that would probably work pretty good. You just need to find a way to mount it.

porschev8
12-23-2004, 07:26 PM
I was wondering about this as well, do you need a "special" type of rad for an LS1 retrofit? or will a standard rad work?

You should look for a cross-flow radiator with a high fin count (18 fins per inch) that measures approximetely 28"wide x 19"tall x 3"thick with a 1.5" outlet on the lower passenger corner and a 1.250" inlet on the upper drivers side. You should also have a small pipe fitting (1/8"NPT)installed just below the filler neck incase you decide to plumb your steam vent to the radiator.

-Tim