PDA

View Full Version : How long can a tire sit

Rick Dorion
05-22-2007, 09:07 AM
I may have screwed myself.

My car sat over a year resting on it's fairly new Firestones while I had an engine built and did other mods. I now have a 40-50 mph shimmy that wasn't here before. Although I added some psi to the tires, I never thought about flat spotting.

All suspension is new and my alignment is good.

Any experiences?

TonyL
05-22-2007, 09:12 AM
a year is a long time on new tires. there are factors. was there sun exposure? full weight of car?

check for cracks.

rolltide
05-22-2007, 10:47 AM
The good news is... it will get better. I wouldn't do anything high speed for a while, but they'll improve after they have heated and cooled a few times.

copo69
05-22-2007, 12:10 PM
it should eventually round itself back out might take 40-50 miles if you catch a nice hot day inflate them to max pressure and just drive for about 30 miles. when you store your car sit it atop jack stands and allow your suspension to hang freely .

Rick Dorion
05-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I'll give it a try. I read some articles where the damage could be permanent. Sheesh.

Of course, some sticky Nitto's, etc. would work.

Tony - this was in my heated garage on my lift. No motor for most of the time.

Derek69SS
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
burnouts will make them round again ;)

ProTouring442
05-23-2007, 11:20 AM
it should eventually round itself back out might take 40-50 miles if you catch a nice hot day inflate them to max pressure and just drive for about 30 miles. when you store your car sit it atop jack stands and allow your suspension to hang freely .

My ASC/McLaren's tires had severe flat spots in them when I first started driving it. I had the tires balanced with a road force machine, and that seemed to help a lot. I still get a little shake when they are cold, but with each drive they seem to get better. I will also say that this has taken a lot more than 50 miles!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Rick Dorion
05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks, Bill

I'm going to take them to a place near me that has one of those machines.