PDA

View Full Version : unisteer big block install

copo69
05-15-2007, 02:30 PM
okay im finally done with my unisteer big block 3 u joint install.
as recomended by denney at unisteer i bought some 3/4 inch round wooden dowl pegs in a 4 foot length. i then cut and whittled down the ends to fit the u joints snugly . i found that the further away from the frame you get the heim joint the better the angle on the middle u joint became making the steering smoother and the middle joint didnt bind. the closer you can get the middle joint to the heim the better the angle and the better the steering.
i set mine as long as i could without any binding on the u joint in the middle as i have rather large headers to deal with next.
if your installing this kit 2 things youi want to remember to do.

#1 at the colum where the colum adapter bolts to your colum bolt it on snugly. slide the first u joint onto the splined shaft until its even or flush with the u joint base. you dont want to slide the u joint all the way onto the splined shaft as it will hit when it rotates.

#2 the rack u joint should also be pulled up until the rack knuckle is flush or it will also hit and bind.

if your really brave you can just eye bal it and start cutting. my advice is get the wooden dowl and start with a 6 inch for the top steering shaft and a 3 inch for the bottom. yes it will be a lil long but once you finish playing with the length and it turns smoothly with no pinching bumping and it is smooth then you can cut your steering shafts to length and install them and your done.

here is some pic,s of what mine looked like whe it was all done and installed. i hope this helps those that need it. if not shoot me an email and maybe i can better talk you through your install. thanks to all those who helped me with mine in my original post on this subject. clicking pic will enlarge some .

MrQuick
05-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Holy cow, what a cluster hu? Glad you figured it out and thank you for the heads up. BTW, what headrers are you using and do they interfere at all with the control arms?

copo69
05-16-2007, 08:41 AM
i have lemons step tube headers and the control arm clerance is not a problem. you can see the headers at www.lemonsheaders.com (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/www.lemonsheaders.com) and click on the big block camaro with power steering link. i may have to send one header back for a tube modification. here is a pic of what one of my headers looks like for the passenger side.

MrQuick
05-16-2007, 10:59 PM
looks good , thank you.