PDA

View Full Version : Shock alternatives, cheaper than koni

JACK_BURTON55
05-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey guys, im doing a full rebuild and upgrade to my suspension. I am in dire need of some good shocks but koni shocks are super expensive. i have heard nothing but good stuff about them but the price on them is too high for my budget when i need new springs and bushings too.

Does anyone have some good recommendations on shocks that dont cost 200$ a pair? but still handle and perform good? Blisten? edelbrock?

Thanks guys

Car Info:
1976 Pontiac Firebird Esprit
Stock everything, rotted bushings
sagging rear springs
all the shocks are shot

chicane67
05-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Well... I'd say Bilstein... but they are out past your $200 mark.

If you are looking for a cheapie... just for now, I would pick me up a set of KYB gas adjusts, until you get to a point of really needing more. For $100/set, they work best with old springs, bushings etc etc.

Then save your moola and do your research to match your upgrades of the future.

Jeremy
05-04-2007, 11:40 PM
PM me if you are interested in some used but good shape Edelbrocks. I removed them when I switched to a different front suspension.

MonzaRacer
05-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Also do over look Monroe Reflex. They have a great balance of antidive and ride quality for an off the shelf shocks.
I put a set on my other 77 Monza ( I figured out that a front shock for a 94 2wd S10 fit my application as they hardly show anything for Hbodies. The combination of those and the Sensa-Tracs on the bak of my car made a sweet handling car.
But honestly the Refles as a whole set would make a decently priced package while saving for better shocks.

Marcus SC&C
05-05-2007, 11:38 AM
I would avoid KYBs like the plague. Edelbrocks are okay but they don`t retain their rate very well. In a year or two they`ll feel mushy (unless you don`t drive the car much). Bilsteins from Summit won`t break the bank too bad and they`re much better quality than most other choices near their price range. Konis are good too but I like the Bilstein valving better. I`d avoid the cheap parts store shocks. Lee got away with it because S10s have much higher dampening rates than Monzas. 2nd Gens are heavy and there aren`t any factory cross over shocks that will offer the same advantage. Buy good ones once and you`ll save money in the long run and your car will thank you. Mark SC&C

JACK_BURTON55
05-05-2007, 03:57 PM
i guess i need a quick lesson in shocks. You say the valveing is better in blistens, what does this improve in terms of ride and control of the car?

As for Koni shocks they come with lifetime warrenties to the original purchaser so i find that to be a major plus!

Josh69
05-07-2007, 12:37 PM
In my experience since I've used both, the Koni's rode better and the Bilsteins were harsher for their non-adjustable offerings for the same 3200lb car.

I prefer Koni, but that's just me. I don't know anything about their respective valving rates, etc...just my seat of the pants preference.