PDA

View Full Version : R4 compressor or Sanden?

whytry
03-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I have the Classic Air kit and it came with a Polished Sanden compressor 134. My problem is I am running a Procharger and they do not have a bracket for the Sanden on a BBC. They have a bracket for the R4 Compressor only at this time. I also have the Meziere electric water pump and the Procharger bracket for the R4 compressor supposedly will not be a "bolt on" for me because of the water pump I am using. With that known, qhat would you do?

I have found a bracket from Alan Grove components that looks like I can get it to work with the Meziere water pump with a little modification or get the Procharger bracket change to the compact R4 compressor and from what Procharger tells me I would need to drill a new hole in the bracket so it will mount to the Meziere's mounting points.....

Thanks!!!

MonzaRacer
03-13-2007, 09:41 PM
DO NOT USE THE R4!
While the R4 was getting reliable in its twilite years it does not have a "sump" to hold oil for the most part.Where as the Sanden will hold several oz of oil and this is very nessesary.
Also dont forget dont open the drier till you are ready to get it vacuumed down and use the same type oil the system uses on the fitting threads and orings.If they are black, regardless of what the instructions tell you try to match them up at NAPA or Carquest with green or blue ones.
The instructions will give you total system oil capacity,,,swear by it, the system manual will give you a very precise amount of R134a follow that. Most of those sytems use a very small amount of refrigerant so the lose of even one ounce or even less will effect the performance of it.
BUT the person charging must also use proper knowledge about the operation of the unit.
Also when they charge the system they MUST allow for the capcity of the hoses or your system will be low and read low or fail to operate properly.
Any questions give me shout.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE