PDA

View Full Version : starting woes

dannyho
02-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I think this post belongs here. I'm not sure because it's not quite the right kind of car, but ignition is ignition

My car isn't starting very well at all. It's an older (89) saab, so the flywheel is in the front of the car. It has a plastic cover on it that i was able to take off so I can see what teh starter is doing.

basically when I go to start it, the starter motor spins, but the teeth of the starter gear do not come out to grabb the flywheel. however if I hold it there long enough, which means like 30 seconds or more it will catch and start the car.

now what do you guys think, bad connection at the starter solenoid, bad solenoid, ignition switch? I need to know before i go and spend money to fix something that probably isnt the issue.

thanks

HILROD
02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
If the starter has the solenoid attatched, the solenoid is bad. If it is mounted somewhere else, it's the starter, But I am assuming the battery, and all the grounds, and cables are good. FRANK

dannyho
02-14-2007, 04:37 PM
That's pretty much what i figured, except if the solenoid was bad how could continuing to crank it get the car to start/ wouldn't it just cause the starter gear to stay in one palce and never contact the flywheel?

HILROD
02-15-2007, 07:54 AM
If it is on the starter like a GM car it does two things. One let the power get to the motor, Two pulls a plunger to move the gears, so they mesh. On a GM car they are seperate actions. On most fords, they are not. If you are in doubt, take the starter off and get it tested, chain stores do it for free.

Madspeed
02-18-2007, 12:09 AM
This is a simple fix.

Go buy a new starter.
I could explain every possible problem you may have. and you could have replaced the starter by the time your read it all.

The gear that enguages with the flywheel is attatched to the motor shaft via a one way bearing. The bearing is shot.
Now if its makin grinding noises, Well then your in for some bigger issues.

Gl, Ken F

dannyho
02-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I got teh starter out and took it to the local napa place to get a new on. they checked it and informed me that nothing was wrong. So now I'm figuring that it's the wiring. I'm going to go through all of it as soon as i can. I might disassemble the solenoid and clean it out, I've read that on these cars they tend to get gunked up and it causes them to stick.