PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder (for JL8 brakes)

DanT69
12-03-2004, 11:49 PM
I am basically replicating the original JL8 option on my '69 Camaro and need help deciding what master cylinder is going to work. I currently have two, the original power brake one in my car (the car has discs on the front) and one from a '70 I had but is manual. I would like to use the manual one, since with the cam I have now its not making enough vacuum to operate the power brakes adequately right now. If the master cylinder I have now isnt going to be adequate I would like to know which ones will be options for my application.

Thanks

ProdigyCustoms
12-04-2004, 03:29 AM
Easiest one to get would be for a Corvette. It is probably available at Advance dDiscount, Pep Boys, Etc,. To keep it all nicey nice, you could ask for one for a 69 vette, but I suspect any of those early 68 up Chrome bumper Stingrays would be fine. It will also be the same fat body design.

Hydratech®
12-05-2004, 09:26 AM
The '68-'76 C3 Vette manual brake spec mc is a 1" bore disc / disc spec peice, the power brake spec one is 1 1/8th. Both have the deep mc pushrod hole required for use with manual brakes (to make sure the brake pedal pushrod cannot fallout of the mc (during quick brake release). NOTE: The disc / disc spec of these C3 master cylinders may induce some over aggressive rear braking operations though in use with rear drum brakes.

I would recommend you run a manual brake disc / drum spec master cylinder (to properly work with the disc / drum setup you have), with the deep pushrod hole, and no larger than a 1" bore. The larger you go on the bore size, the harder the brake pedal will be to press down on vs the smaller the bore, the easier it is to push, though with the trade off of having larger amounts of pedal travel...

Also, keep in mind that the power brake connection point on the brake pedal is the lower hole, while the manual brake connection point is about an inch higher up the pedal (which provides more leverage for manual brake use).

DanT69
12-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys, basically from the info you guys provided the vette MC will work, if I do the discs front and back, and a different one with less then a 1" bore will do the job the best if I keep the drums in the back. Now I have to decide which path I will ultimately take.