PDA

View Full Version : What are the best blow thru carbs?

Adam's 55 Chevy
02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
For a Pro Charger. I have seen some Barry Grant Mighty Demon carbs on ebay for $584.oo. Are these good for the money or are there alternatives?

Twin_Turbo
02-05-2007, 02:59 AM
hands down..these.. Dellorto DHLA45-M tri het pressure carbs off a lotus esprit turbo.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Turbo Hen
02-05-2007, 05:00 AM
CSU builds the BEST blow-through carbs IMO. Kevin's customer service is beyond exceptional.....hey is the man.

Stay away from those BG carbs......its just gonna be a headache.

www.csucarbs.com

Adam's 55 Chevy
02-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Turbo Hen
What are the headaches associated with the BG carbs please. I am not sure if I can stretch to $900.oo for a carb and the BG ones are just over half that. I know you get what you pay for but not knowing the differences doesn't put in a position to choose.
Thank you

Blown353
02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I've had good luck with CSU's carbs and also Scott's from SDCE.

I've dinked with a CSU-carbed car and I was happy with how it drove, and Scott @ SDCE did my own blowthrough carb and I was very happy with it.

My suggestion is call one of those two and see what they recommend, my bet is it will be a Holley HP series with mods specific to your combo.

The suggestion of the Dellortos is VERY interesting-- since they were an OEM design, I bet they're really, really good in all aspects.

Turbo Hen
02-05-2007, 12:39 PM
The headaches with the BG carbs:

-Machining metal in the NEW carburators....i've personally seen 2 of these with metal filings in it, and know quite a few others that have had the same thing.

-Goto www.turbomustangs.com & log into the "CARB/BLOWTHROUGH" section......do a search & you'll then understand why 99% of the people use CSU.....we cant afford to do it twice, can you?

My $0.02

-Carm

Adam's 55 Chevy
02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Well thats exactly what I was lokoing for. What a great source of info, thanks a lot.

Madspeed
02-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Why not use the BOX?
the carb sits inside a box and the Boost goes into that..
If Im not mistaken you dont even need a blower carb for that cause its = pressure just like a N/A application.

Turbo Hen
02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
The "Box" is not a very efficient design, and thats why Blow-through carbs from CSU w/ a hat have taken over.

A blow-through carb from the right company will be worth its weight in gold as far as im concerned. Thanks to CSU, i set my 750 blow-through up very quickly & easily......cruises @ 14:1, and WOT is set at ~11.3:1......idles smooth, reacts quick etc....it was definetly worth the $

-Carm

Texas Hotrod
02-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I agree also. Holley HP series and CSU.

Blown353
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
The headaches with the BG carbs:

-Machining metal in the NEW carburators....i've personally seen 2 of these with metal filings in it, and know quite a few others that have had the same thing.

That's not a problem-- it's a "Barry Grant Specific Feature" you pay extra for.

I've never seen a BG carb WITHOUT burrs & debris out of the box (in the metering blocks especially)-- I've probably worked on about a dozen of them so far. I hear the same reports from everyone else. After the first one you install has all sorts of driveability issues because of obstructions in the various machined passages you know right away that on all future BG carbs the first thing you do is strip them down and thoroughly deburr & clean them.

They do look pretty though. LOL!

shmoov69
02-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Or you could build your own blowthru Holley DP and fight, cuss, rant, rave, take it off a hundred times and change things, run bad until you get it close enough to say "good enough" like I did!
Call CSU! LOL!

go-fish
02-10-2007, 05:23 PM
I have one from PC, Performance Carburetor. I was recommended to them by thesuperchargerstore.com, a Mopar SC outfitter. I forgot what it ran but was better quality than BG for less.
http://www.performancecarburetors.com/blowthru.htm

Madspeed
02-10-2007, 06:49 PM
The "Box" is not a very efficient design, and thats why Blow-through carbs from CSU w/ a hat have taken over.

A blow-through carb from the right company will be worth its weight in gold as far as im concerned. Thanks to CSU, i set my 750 blow-through up very quickly & easily......cruises @ 14:1, and WOT is set at ~11.3:1......idles smooth, reacts quick etc....it was definetly worth the $

-Carm

Hmm Ive never used either but It would seem to logicly work.
What are the exact troubbles with this inefficent box design?
can You direct me to some info?
I was bout to do one for a customer.
If there is a problem I want to know now

64duece
02-11-2007, 01:26 AM
There's alot of turbulence inside the box. They usually show signs as boost increases. If it's a 4-6lb street or marine setup, by all means they work fine. After that, it's time for a bonnet and quality carb.

705.0Merc
02-15-2007, 06:46 PM
A carb box goes for $650+ with the fuel line kit. I bought my Extreme Velocity polished and o- ringed bonnet for around $220. The carb box is used by Vortech etc, because there is very little modifications needed to the carb. More modification is needed to use the bonnet, but the perfromance is better, its a straight shot in without turbulence like the carb boxes. There are extensive debates on Turbomustangs.com. I built my own 600dp for blow through, after lots of research it's good now. My brother inlaw has a blown big block Camaro using a Vortech kit with the carb enclosure. The box is a pain to remove and replace to fine tune the carb.

MonzaRacer
02-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Barry Grants suck right now. They have some serious QC issues right now.

purplemonster
02-27-2007, 01:22 PM
hands down..these.. Dellorto DHLA45-M tri het pressure carbs off a lotus esprit turbo.

:cool:
Twin turbo, I have a 2x2 Weber adapter for my intake manifold. Do you have any pictures with the dellorto setup fully up? I found a place than sells dellorto blow throughs, and this thread sparked my interest. Are you running one turbo to one bank and the other turbo to the other bank?

Texas Hotrod
02-27-2007, 06:25 PM
I just drove the twin turbo Camaro for the first time. Idle quality is great, it'll idle at 500rpm w/no problems. Cruising through down town at part throttle was nice and smoth and the transition to part throttle acceleration didn't have any glitches.
The engine is fresh so I kept an eye on the pressure gauge when I brought on the boost. I kept a light foot on the pedal and didn't go over 5psi. So, from vacuum, to no vacuum, to boost felt really good. I can't wait for more testing to see how many bugs need to be worked out.
I'm pleased with the Holley HP from CSU.
Next step is installing the air/fuel meter for precise measurements.

A Dellorto carb, what engine are you using?
The Dellorto looks like a Weber IDF that I have. I hope it's a large bore carb. The one I have is a 40mm and looks really restrictive. Jet swaps are really easy though. I saw a 350 Chevy that had 4 of them, sure looked nice.

shmoov69
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Awesome man! Stick it to the wood and tell us how it goes!!

Twin_Turbo
03-04-2007, 02:51 PM
:cool:
Twin turbo, I have a 2x2 Weber adapter for my intake manifold. Do you have any pictures with the dellorto setup fully up? I found a place than sells dellorto blow throughs, and this thread sparked my interest. Are you running one turbo to one bank and the other turbo to the other bank?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/roller7-1.jpg
What kind are they selling? The 45 or 40 mm ones? You can identify a true blow through dellorto easily, they have a 3rd jet next to the booster:
Also, they have a cast alumiinium tube cover w/ a hose attachment, the othrs have a plastic one w/ no attachment whatsoever.