PDA

View Full Version : Chevelle Custom Dash Question

Chevelle LT1
12-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Please excuse the question if it's been asked before...still new here. Does anyone have info on a dash swap for a 70 Chevelle? I currently have a (broken, cracked, etc.) SS dash on mine, and would like to either make a custom sheet metal dash, or swap in a later-model dash. I've seen the 4th gen F-body dashes in the 1st gen Camaros, and would certainly consider doing that, but don't know how width/fit/etc. compares between the Camaro's and Chevelles. I am not a fan of the Covan inserts, and would prefer to do a complete changeover, rather than a few select pieces. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

derekf
12-02-2004, 12:13 PM
There's a user on Team Chevelle (LVMAXX) that has a sheet-metal dash for 70 Chevelles available. Here's a relevant post: http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/21/4640.html?

and here's the link to a pic:

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/LVMAXX/prtyp8.JPG

As far as swapping in a later model dash, it seems wrong to put a Camaro dash in a 'velle (since it's not a Camaro) - but a coworker has a newer Malibu, I haven't measured the dash but it looks like it'd be a decent fit styling-wise.

Edit: Welcome to the board. Let's see some pics of your 70.

Zefhix
12-02-2004, 12:18 PM
I tried once to fit my 70 Chevelle with a 97 SS dasn and it was just totally wrong on the width...lots of fabbing to make it happen. I had, in excess of 3.5 inches between the edges of the SS dash and the a-pillars in the 70 on each side. Your best bet really is a stock dash with a modified insert unless you take careful measuremnets and go on a hunting expedition in the junkyard or do a full custom fabbed version. Good luck :)

Chevelle LT1
12-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Thank you both for the responses...just trying to weigh the benefits of something fully custom, or a minor change like the sheet metal insert. If anyone else has any ideas, they are of course welcome and appreciated. zefhix, can you tell me what you ended up with as a final solution for the dash? Thanks again.

The latest pic of the car is a little outdated, but isn't too far off...

protour_chevelle
12-02-2004, 03:53 PM
I'm running a sweeper right now and removed the sweeper part. I will be running an alum. plate with holes for my gauges. Any extra gauges I need will be just above the heater controls. Perfect place for 2 gauges!

No pics yet but tons will be up once I get it done!

-Matt

Zefhix
12-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Thank you both for the responses...just trying to weigh the benefits of something fully custom, or a minor change like the sheet metal insert. If anyone else has any ideas, they are of course welcome and appreciated. zefhix, can you tell me what you ended up with as a final solution for the dash? Thanks again.

The latest pic of the car is a little outdated, but isn't too far off...

damn, I really like chevelles...you know, for such the camaro guy that I am, I sure do have a soft spot when it comes to these cars.. :)
In answer to your question, I have no final solution. I want the dash & the gauges to work to together and I just haven't found gauges I like except for some by a co. called DEFI (which mostly makes import stuff) but they do have a kick-ass HUD setup. I'm leaning at an SS dash with a custom made insert and trim pieces made to match the insert on other parts of the dash but I'm still tossing around a few other ideas. :cool:

ZZ430
12-02-2004, 08:08 PM
I'm currently installing this panel with Autometer phantom gauges in a 71 El Camino.

http://www.covansclassic.com/parts/description.php?II=367&UID=2004120223023864.12.116.202

It's quite a lot of work. I just took out the whole dash/carrier. The SS gauge portion gets cut out of the old dash, and the new one covers the hole, and is like a "cap", fitting over the old carrier.

The harnesses are real nice, and the sending units are included.

The speedo is electronic, but does not include the sending unit ($65)

I can take some pics if you want on what's involved.

Chevelle LT1
12-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Zefhix, ZZ Top - Thanks for the info. ZZ, what do you think about the actual insert from Covan? I've heard mixed results on quality/flimsiness, and would appreciate your thoughts.

protour_chevelle
12-03-2004, 07:17 AM
I just haven't found gauges I like except for some by a co. called DEFI (which mostly makes import stuff) but they do have a kick-ass HUD setup. I'm leaning at an SS dash with a custom made insert and trim pieces made to match the insert on other parts of the dash but I'm still tossing around a few other ideas. :cool:

Are you planning on mounting the gauges behind the SS dash panel? I have a few pics of that idea.

My mom just bought my christmas present, Defi gauges :cool:

Here ya go! Looks pretty good. I hear its a huge biotch to get it to work though and Defi doesn't offer a speedo so you have one big hole thats empty
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

-Matt

ZZ430
12-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Protour Chevelle that looks great!

Here's one I'm also doing on a 70. It's made from 3/16 Lexan and fits in the sweeper dash. A customer of mine made it.

And here's the Covan I talked about

As far as the quality of the Covan goes, I thought it was well made and had a nice finish. (Considering it's ABS)

Edit: I see you have a SS dash, I'm just floating ideas out the for the sweeper style too.

Zefhix
12-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Are you planning on mounting the gauges behind the SS dash panel? I have a few pics of that idea.

My mom just bought my christmas present, Defi gauges :cool:

Here ya go! Looks pretty good. I hear its a huge biotch to get it to work though and Defi doesn't offer a speedo so you have one big hole thats empty

-Matt

Well, I was possibly tossing around the idea of using Mechanical Gauges for the speedo and tach and putting a tinted piece of lexan over the two gauges to hide them and then mounting a light source behind the lexan so you can actually see them when in use. I just have a hard time reading digital tachs down the 1320...I need a sweeping needle. You got the Defi one that black out? Really very nice looking gauges IMO. I'd love to see how they look when you mount them. Please keep me updated!!

protour_chevelle
12-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Zephix. I went with the Link meters. Reason being is they do not have all the gauges I want in the BF series. I'm sure they'll have all the gauges(tach, oil temp, water temp, oil press, fuel press, boost, etc) later on but right now I'd rather just have all my gauges match. Still one pimp gauge though!

-Matt

Zefhix
12-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Zephix. I went with the Link meters. Reason being is they do not have all the gauges I want in the BF series. I'm sure they'll have all the gauges(tach, oil temp, water temp, oil press, fuel press, boost, etc) later on but right now I'd rather just have all my gauges match. Still one pimp gauge though!

-Matt

I don't know....according to their website, the BF and meter series are the same gauge lineup with the exception of the Tach....what are you doing about a speedo?

protour_chevelle
12-04-2004, 04:12 PM
I'm using their Digital Display. Shows the speed digitally with numbers. Not really what I want though.

[quote]I don't know....according to their website, the BF and meter series are the same gauge lineup with the exception of the Tach.quote]

The BF series goes black when turned off. Like pitch black. The link meters are almost like a normal gauge but go pretty dark when turned off. Totally different gauge. Infact when running both of them(BF and Link meter) you need 2 control units :screwy: When running the BF series. If you run all 6 you need another control unit to run the tach. Link Meter is more appealing to me for simplicity.

-Matt

Zefhix
12-04-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm using their Digital Display. Shows the speed digitally with numbers. Not really what I want though.

[quote]I don't know....according to their website, the BF and meter series are the same gauge lineup with the exception of the Tach.quote]

The BF series goes black when turned off. Like pitch black. The link meters are almost like a normal gauge but go pretty dark when turned off. Totally different gauge. Infact when running both of them you need 2 control units :screwy:

-Matt

Ahh...I thought you chose the Meter over the BF for gauge availability not asthetics...gotcha. I know they're completely different gauges. Did you get them yet? I'd like to see a pic of the Meters turned off as I only saw the BF's in person @ SEMA. The gauges were beautiful....

protour_chevelle
12-04-2004, 04:39 PM
I won't have them till Christmas. Ohwell. I get a motor and tranny on Monday :) I have soooo many things to do till I can use the gauges. But I needed to order them so Speartech can do my harness so everything plugs in right the first time.

-Matt

protour_chevelle
12-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Heres some pics of what the gauges look like that I bought.(am getting same thing lol)

-Matt

Zefhix
12-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Those gauges are really cool. If Autometer does, in fact, have the Tach and Speedo for the Nexus series by April/May like the rep said @ SEMA, I'll definitely be using them. I really Like the idea of the guage cluster blacking-out; just like the DEFI BF series.
http://hp.autometer.com/products/nexus/index.html

protour_chevelle
12-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Autometer has a good idea going but I'm not going to spend my money on them. I've seen their gauges being so far off that it has cost people engines. Boost gauges off by 3 psi(on a stock forced induction motor thats HUGE) Air/fuel gauges can't read worth crap.

Can't really knock the Speedo and Tach. However you have to pay to get quality from Autometer. You cheap out and you get a worthless gauge.

One complaint I have about the Nexus line is you pay for 7 or so colors when personally I'd only use 2 of them. Blue letter and White. They should make an optional controller. I'm trying to find the site of company that does this. (optional controller for color)

Are you talking about using Defi gauges with the Autometer Tach and Speedo(Nexus series)? Or all Nexus series gauges?

BTW I added you to my AIM

-Matt

Zefhix
12-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Autometer has a good idea going but I'm not going to spend my money on them. I've seen their gauges being so far off that it has cost people engines. Boost gauges off by 3 psi(on a stock forced induction motor thats HUGE) Air/fuel gauges can't read worth crap.

Can't really knock the Speedo and Tach. However you have to pay to get quality from Autometer. You cheap out and you get a worthless gauge.

One complaint I have about the Nexus line is you pay for 7 or so colors when personally I'd only use 2 of them. Blue letter and White. They should make an optional controller. I'm trying to find the site of company that does this. (optional controller for color)

Are you talking about using Defi gauges with the Autometer Tach and Speedo(Nexus series)? Or all Nexus series gauges?

BTW I added you to my AIM

-Matt

I wanted to do all Nexus if I can. I'm not running their A/F or boost (motor is n/a and the FI controller will tell me where my a/f is) I may just run the Autometer Tach and Speedo (whatever matches) and then the DEFI BF for the rest. It depends on product expasion on both the co's parts. I just want a full gauge set that blacks out and looks classy. I don't care really about it changing color (although great for warning indicators). I don't know...in case you couldn't tell I'm real fickle. Oh, and i'm rarely on AIM except late at night on my personal computer but you're more than welcome to email me: keith at zefhix dot com :cool:

protour_chevelle
12-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I know where yoru comig from Keith. It seems that any decent gauge company out there only offers half the banana. You and me want the whole thing with its skin. It time I hope!

-Matt