PDA

View Full Version : 68 Camaro AC removal

Jarcaines
12-01-2004, 02:24 PM
I want to get rid of the origianl AC unit on the Firewall of my 68 Camaro, it is huge and takes up to much space, not to mention it wieghts a ton. Is this somthing that I can safely remove? I don't want to spread poisines fumes all over the nieghborhood. Would it effect the heating system or anything else?

Woody
12-01-2004, 03:24 PM
I can't help you with any information relating to discharging the system, but you can remove the AC components in the engine compartment and still have an operational heater. You are going to have to remove the passenger side fender to remove the evaporator box. American Graffiti makes a AC delete box that works nicely to replace the evaporator box from the AC system. Here is a picture showing the AC delete box

http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/19/312.html?

The initial delete boxes by American Graffiti had problems with the bottom heater hose fitting, but they have fixed that now.

Another alternative is to cut down your existing evaporator box. Do a search over on the Camaros.net forums and you will find a lot of information.

Jarcaines
12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks man!

MrQuick
12-12-2004, 05:32 PM
venting to the atmosphere isn't good, my childrens childrens children probably would not appreciate it. You can take the car down to a shop that services AC systems and they would be more than happy to safely recover the R12 you have in your system. Most shops will do it for free since they could resell it. give a hoot don't pollute...please

Jarcaines
12-27-2004, 04:35 PM
venting to the atmosphere isn't good, my childrens childrens children probably would not appreciate it. You can take the car down to a shop that services AC systems and they would be more than happy to safely recover the R12 you have in your system. Most shops will do it for free since they could resell it. give a hoot don't pollute...please

don't worry man, I wouldn't