PDA

View Full Version : Replacing car battery

tones2SS
01-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi guys/gals.
I want to replace the stock battery in my '99 Camaro SS. I do not drive it much and have to recharge it all the time. Is it as easy as it seems by just unhooking the terminals and dropping the new one in?!!?
If someone could walk me through the steps one by one, I would really appreaciate it. Thanks!!!

TPI Monte SS
01-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Just disconnect the negative (black, -) terminal first, then the positive (red, +). Undo the battery hold-down and pull the battery out. Install is just the opposite; hook the positive first, then negative.

tones2SS
01-18-2007, 05:13 PM
THANK YOU!!!!
I have never done this before and don't want to mess my car up by just replacing the battery.
This shouldn't affect my pcm at all would it?
Who makes a good battery? I was thinking SEARS Diehard Gold Series?
I appreciate the info.:git: :git:

rockdogz
01-18-2007, 05:24 PM
WARNING - This will erase your radio presets!!
:drive2:

Go with Optima... They have 'em at Costco...

TPI Monte SS
01-18-2007, 09:13 PM
WARNING - This will erase your radio presets!!
:drive2:

Go with Optima... They have 'em at Costco...

Good point, if you have the factory radio with the Theftlock enabled, I hope you know what the code is. :) And I second the motion for an Optima. I have one in my Cherokee and that truck cranks and starts just the same whether it's 10 degrees outside and snowin' like hell or 75 and sunny. Great battery for the $$!

tones2SS
01-19-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure what you mean?
Do you mean the radio will not work anymore if I swap out the battery?
Thanks for your help guys!!!

TPI Monte SS
01-19-2007, 10:59 AM
To tell if the Theftlock is enabled, when you shut the car off is there a blinking red LED on the radio? If not, then you'll be fine to disconnect the battery. IF the light is blinking, that means Theftlock is activated, and you'll need to punch in the code so you can listen to your radio again once you start the car with the new battery.

tones2SS
01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
OK.
Thanks again for all your help.
I appreciate it!

MonzaRacer
01-21-2007, 10:37 PM
OPTIMA OPTIMA OPTIMA
OH and ask dealer about the theftlock andget the right code, even ifyou have to pay as it is a bitch to do over the phone even if they know someone is calling from a repair facility.
Then write it down and if you can program it with a certain code use the last numbers of your vin number. If it stolen they will never take time to getthat and it will still be junk.
Lee

CarlC
01-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Why not use a battery tender?

tones2SS
01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
I was thinking that.
I usually start her up and drive up and down the driveway to get the tires/juices moving. But sometimes, I guess the weather is so cold, it kills the battery. I have a battery charger, but maybe will look into a battery tender??
Thanks for the info!:cool:

Gordz32
01-31-2007, 01:39 PM
BAttery tenders are great, there cheap compared to replaceing a battery. My dad uses them on all his cars and harley

Jim Nilsen
02-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Isn't there something you plug into your lighter and it keeps enough power to the system to keep the memory in the car yet allow you to change the battery?