PDA

View Full Version : installing converter

TheRoaringEagle
01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
this may be a dumb question but am i supposed to install the torque converter into the transmission and then bolt the tranny to engine and then tonverter to flexplate?

i installed my torque converter to my flexplate first, and then installed the transmission over it and onto the block.

btw, should i be filling my torque converter with tranny fluid prior to installation?

Chad-1stGen
01-05-2007, 08:57 PM
I've always installed the converter onto the tranny then bolted everything up. Yes it's a good idea to fill the converter with fluid before installing it.

6'9"Witha69
01-05-2007, 09:32 PM
WARNING!! If you try Converter to flexplate and then mounting the trans there will be a lot of engine turning in your future to ensure proper seating of the TC shaft to the pump drive. I always mount the converter to trans then the unit to the engine. I know someone who bent a flexplate and trans case trying it your way. Just thought he would tighten the trans onto the engine. One side bolted up, why not pull the other side in now. OOPS. The idea was that he was doing it solo and the TC filled with fluid was very heavy, so it would be easier if he lifted the trans in place w/o the converter in there. He borrows my jack trans adapter now.

You may have been very lucky. Go play the lotto.

And yes, fill the TC before installing.

marine02ss
01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Its a lot easier bolted to tranny first,cause if u do the other way u risk of breaking the pump,complete no no

BRIAN
01-07-2007, 05:19 PM
It has to go to tranny first as otherwise converter will never be seated into pump on the tranny. Also you should be checking gap at flywheel from converter mtg pads to flywheel and than shimming if washers if needed. I think it is 1/8 and inch.

BRIAN
01-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Before somebody corrects me I meant "Flexplate" not "Flywheel".

TheRoaringEagle
01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
yeesh, well im going to reinstall the torque converter again to fill it up with fluid. so i'm gonna do it the right way now. as for the pump, is that located on the tranny? i want to check and make sure i didn't ruin anything. when i did install it, the tranny seemed to go in fine.

also i've used this torque converter/tranny combo before on my now busted up 400 sbc, and i'm just transferring it to a crate fastburn 385. i didn't have any shims between the torque converter and the flexplate, but i guess i'll see how much if any i will need doing it the right way.

Thanks!

Skip Fix
01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Fil it with fluid then slide it over the input shaft. Then as you are pushing it back spin it. You should feel it engae the lugs of the pump and go back even more. The notches in the convertor snout engage the pump.

If you fire it up dry often it toasts the convertors bearings.

Karch
01-08-2007, 04:39 PM
The convertor must be seated so that it is behind the trans mounting surface, or you probably don't have it in all the way.

Also, wipe some white grease or ATF on the convertor snout before insertion so the seal gets lubed.

TheRoaringEagle
01-09-2007, 10:14 AM
thanks for the tips, do you guys recommend a good street atf? the tranny has been built for street/strip

TheRoaringEagle
01-11-2007, 12:43 PM
oh geez i really have to thank you guys. i reinstalled it the correct way and my torque converter went way back. and i heard the three clicks loud and clear. i felt an instant relief hearing them clicks cause i knew for sure i did it right.

i filled the TC with some b&M trick shift - it's blue never knew. weird

anyways, i have about 1/8 inch of tolerance between the flexplate and the TC. is it okay to try and shim it with zero tolerance? or will that mess up the pump and such?

6'9"Witha69
01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
1/8 is acceptable tolerance. No need to shim but if you do, dont push the TC ALL the way in.

TheRoaringEagle
01-12-2007, 06:49 PM
cool, shimmed it to bout 1/16 - hope it runs well. thanks for all your help!

weamdog
01-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Definately not a dumb question, but it could have been a dumb and costly mistake like the one I made when i was a youngster. I will remember the 3 clicks rule and bolting the torque converter last for the rest of my life. I also learned from that experience not to use hardening gasket sealer when installing on an intake manifold (that was a fun year).