PDA

View Full Version : Electric Brakes

SSDan
12-24-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a 1946 Chevy Truck with hydraulic booster brakes. The problem is, room in the truck is very tight and when the steering column was added, the brake pedal had to be on the left side of the column. You have to use both feet to drive the truck. The problem is the pedal is mounted so high and with the cramped interior, you have to raise your leg pretty high to use the pedal. Not a good thing if you get in a bind in traffic. If I could rest the ball of my foot on the floor it would not be as bad.

I'm curious to know if anyone has used the new electric brakes I have read about. Any problems, good bad, indifferent?

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

Texas Hotrod
01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
You can't lengthen the pedal or modify the push rod for a better position? Is pedal travel a problem?
Maybe it's from first learning to drive a stick shift. I prefer driving w/one foot on the gas and one on the brake. To each his own, I hope you can solve the problem.

Electric brakes? As in the ones that BMW and Mercedes has been testing? Those systems use complex computers and various sensors/traction control inputs. Hydro units seem to be the best mechanical system available.

BonzoHansen
01-13-2007, 09:26 PM
It's probably the ABS (company name) setup. Much like the grand national setup - which guys get rid of. That is all I know.

streetk14
01-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I have a 1946 Chevy Truck with hydraulic booster brakes. The problem is, room in the truck is very tight and when the steering column was added, the brake pedal had to be on the left side of the column. You have to use both feet to drive the truck. The problem is the pedal is mounted so high and with the cramped interior, you have to raise your leg pretty high to use the pedal. Not a good thing if you get in a bind in traffic. If I could rest the ball of my foot on the floor it would not be as bad.

I'm curious to know if anyone has used the new electric brakes I have read about. Any problems, good bad, indifferent?

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

You are probably talking about the system from ABS brake systems. This is what I have on my '67 Camaro. It can be a very clean install (as you can see in my pics), and it works well. It is supposed to put out a ton of pressure, but I think the master also has a very large bore. The brake pedal feels good, and the car stops well. Probably not as much assist as a hydro-boost system, but a much cleaner setup IMO.

Andy