PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Digital vs. DC Controls Fan Controller

Tim_in_NC
12-14-2006, 04:22 AM
I've been looking at the Dakota piece for some time now and dig it ...

Anyone using the Dakota piece?

I'm running the LS1 fan setup, which is a dual electric fan system ...

Any advantages/dissadvantages of the DC Controls unit vs. the Dakota Digital unit?

Thanks...

68Formula
12-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Not familiar with them, but as a general note, I don't care for any system that relies on skin temperture of either the radiator or hose. I don't know why so many do not offer a threaded sensor that goes into the manifold coolant or cylinderhead passages like the factory.

SHANE 73Z
12-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Tim,

I have been shopping for the same thing lately. The Dakota is a new option to me. I had been shopping the Delta Controls, SPAL, & now this one shows up.

There are highlights to each. I dislike the the temp probe on the DC as stated above & jumper wire set points. DCs rep hasnt been so good lately on delivery & reliability.

The SPAL & Dakota seem to be very similar in operation. They both have 2 button programability and use a sending unit for operation. I didnt see anywhere that detailed the operation of the Dakota, even the instructions

The SPAL unit comes on (@ the low set point) & proportions the fan speed until the temp reaches the high set point where the fan is running full tilt. It seems the Dakota kicks the fan on a low speed (@ your low set point) & then goes full tilt (@ high set point). I didnt see anywhere that said the Dakota was proportional.

They also both need an add-on relay to operate a second fan. I do know the SPAL will only kick on the second fan at full speed (not proportionally), when the first fan is running all out.

The SPAL unit looks like it is better constructed too. It has a plug in harness as opposed to the mini terminal block of the Dakota. The 2 switches also seem way beefier than the Dakota.

Take care,
Shane

gmachinz
12-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I agree with the theory behind the cooling of the DC Controls unit over anything else offered, but the others offer a more user friendly package for sure and while the Spal has only a high speed lead for a second fan, I can have them custom built to a particular application pretty easy because in 10 minutes I can be at the Spal facility talking to an engineer about it-that's nice! The Dakota controller sounds like a spin off of the Spal unit but with differences in how they control the fan speed-thus dodging potential copyright infringements. The answer is to put a sensor bung in the lower radiator opening which is threaded-then use the Spal or Dakota sender and you're done! I've used the DC Controllers with no problems but others have had issues with them. Maybe that's bound to happen with a certain number-who knows, maybe the Spal and Dakota units will sneak out with a few problem ones, who knows? It essentially comes down to customer service and fixing the problem whether it be replacing the unit or finding out what wiring issue (possibly) caused it. Everything has a limited lifespan being that it's electric, the choice is deciding which one suits what you're doing and that comes down to quality. Do your homework and find people who have installed the various controllers and get their take on them. I'll be picking up a Dakota controller and will be comparing it with our Spal controllers to see how the numbers lay out. Sorta like reverse engineering...I'll see what makes it seperate from everybody else. -Jabin

Tim_in_NC
12-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys and Jabin, keep us updated on your findings ...

L n L
12-21-2006, 07:12 AM
Jabin,

Please post an update on what you find with the Dakota. I've seen it in my research as well.

Lee

Taylor1969
05-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Any updates?

nbecker
05-04-2007, 07:10 AM
I have the dakota and im happy with it.

L n L
05-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I got a DC. It is really nice, and I'm quite happy with it. I tried to get another, along with a complete fan setup for another car, but can't seem to get in touch with DC. So, I've got a SPAL/MKVIII setup coming from Jabin. It will be interesting to see how they compare!

Lee