PDA

View Full Version : Welding on Griffins with epoxy on the tanks

Skip Fix
12-08-2006, 08:20 AM
I picked up a generic Griffin 31x19 for my 79 Camaro project. They have welded tanks but epoxy also on the core tank junction. The problem is the top of the tank is straight across not at a 45 like the factory tanks and the cap hits the hood,so I need to cut and patch it down to a 45. Will welding melt the epoxy or make it shrink damaging tubes?? Also like to add a drain petcock.

vintageracer
12-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I understand they can be repaired and reconfigured with the changes you desire HOWEVER the ONLY place I have found willing to make those changes was the original manufactuer. Every radiator shop I have talked with will not touch an epoxy radiator. This includes shops that do work on aluminum racing radiators. They all have told me to send it back to the manufacturer as they do not have the tools and technology to re-epoxy the radiator back together after the repair as the heat of repair can sometimes melt the epoxy and the repair shop does not want the liability. Radiators run at 200+ degrees so epoxy has decent temperature ability but I do not know the limit at which the epoxy used for radiator construction melts. I do know that all the radiator shops have told me they cannot replace the epoxy with welded seams on epoxy constructed radiators. I would give it a shot IF you are going to try the re-configuration fabrication yourself. New generic size aluminum radiators are now so cheap if you screw it up.

The fact that all the manufactures no longer use epoxy for aluminum radiator construction should tell you that there is a better way. The last time I returned a Ron Davis Epoxy radiator for repair, they offered me a new radiator at a killer deal to remove my old NASCAR epoxy radiator from the market.

Since originally stated you have a "generic" Griffin epoxy radiator and the fact that welded aluminum "generic" radiators have become so widely available in total welded construction, I would buy a new welded aluminum radiator that fits your needs and toss the epoxy radiator. All aluminum radiators are now SO cheap now for a generic configuration radiator in the size you specified. $150 or less! The additional benefit is that all aluminum radiators can be easily re-configured to meet you needs or purchased to fit properly new.

Skip Fix
12-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Griffin says the tanks/tubes are welded and the epoxy is just for added support vs the ones that just use epoxy for the sealing.But it can "shrink" from heat. They wanted $100 just for the sinole mods!

This one is a 2x 1.25 tube. Most of the other generics have the flat tank top also.

blown69nova
12-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Try a local rad. shop, I had an intercooler epoxied at one and it worked fine. I can't remember the price, but it was way less than $100.00.
Steve

FabUThis
12-10-2006, 08:14 AM
It can be welded with out disturbing the epoxy . The aluminum is not that thick so you so you don't need a lot of heat to weld it . I 've done a few with the same problem .

Skip Fix
12-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the input.