PDA

View Full Version : 700r4 rebuild

Footjoy
11-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Well I have been working on cars for 40 years(not professionally) and I fugure I'm not worth anything til I rebuild and automatic trans.
So I have a 700 and I am going to rebuild it with modifications. So does anybody know of a kit I can buy with servos bands disc and what ever else I need? I know you think I'm crazy. I started doing it myself and unfortunately I will finish working on cars myself.
1. any tips for this adventure
2. Things to watch out for
3. What brand parts are better than others.
4. What are biggest mistake made on these.

Thanks for any help.
I live in KC if anybody wants to help:rolleyes:

Footjoy

Pollyss
11-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I started doing a little research for you all ready... I burned the 3-4 clutches out of mine, so I've been searching for stuff, too. I'd suggest staying away from A-1 in Lawrence...they've built the 700 I have several times, and my pickup has maybe 300 hp.

I just talked to a guy at Pro-Built http://www.700r4l60e.com (http://www.700r4l60e.com%29), and he suggested an ATSG or Haynes service manual. He also said I could call him and he'd walk me through it to figure out what is needed for me to build it right. He was Very knowledgable, and I would recommend talking to him. I remember him saying he's used Borg-Warner clutches and Trans-Go shift kits for several years with great luck. I've heard good things about his shop, and he seemed to be great with customer service on the phone. I don't remember details, but he was talking about how many shops don't know the tricks to get the oil pressure right, and so they burn up. The Sealed Power "Beast" Sunshell and Corvette servo are a couple common upgrades along with more clutches in the 3-4 pack.

I'm in Salina and would gladly help out once I build mine, but work tells me I'll be working Saturdays & 60+ hour weeks soon. I can let you know what I figure out with mine and try to help with any questions once I learn what to do with one.

Good luck!
-Paul

Footjoy
11-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks Paul, we can do this together I travel to Salina on business so maybe we can hook up.

Greg

MarkB
11-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey guys,

Good luck with your first 700-R4 venture. When you get ready, just let me know and I can set you up with all the right parts to build the 700-R4. I would invest in a ATSG Manual, we put together many complete kits with the manual included to help people out. I will help you any way I can. The whole trick is ensuring that you have the clearances set right and that you have the proper geometery on the detent cable. Many people can replace parts, but forget to find what caused the failed parts. I can set you up with a kit like we use here at the shop or custom taylor one to your specs. Just let me know.

Thanks & Have A Great Thanksgiving!

Mark

Footjoy
11-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Mark

I am starting to save my lunch money for this adventure. send me some prices (pm if you want) so I will know when to call.

Greg

XTRMEASURES
02-16-2007, 06:19 AM
hey MarkB can you send me prices also, i too am saveing up lunch money...

thanks