PDA

View Full Version : head gaskets & water flow

Colin Frolick
11-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi, I'm assembling a chrysler 440 and am puzzled by the apparent lack of coolant holes on the head gaskets. on 2 sets of gaskets i have by fel-pro and mr.gasket all of the water holes along the bottom of the deck are blocked, and the upper holes are only ~25% exposed. Is this normal? should i open these up to allow more flow? the motor is for street use.

thanks.

DLinson
11-20-2006, 09:37 PM
I know on BB chevys the holes are only there to allow air to escape. The coolant needs to move around the cylinders from the front of the block to the rear of the block, then up into the cylinder heads, back to the front, into the intake, then out the thermostat housing. If you open up the holes, you'll mess up the flow and the rear cylinders won't get the flow they need.

Colin Frolick
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
well, i called the fel-pro tech line today. the tech explained how a 'performance' gasket is modified to alter the water flow thru the head to absorb more heat and handle more horsepower. i'm noticing most 440 gaskets, including the steel shim ones Mopar sells, are this way. i'll have to install a temp gauge on the shakedown run.