PDA

View Full Version : What Tools do you Have?

TonyHuntimer
11-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Hey guys,

What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself?

What tools do you have in your tool box?

What's you favorite hand tool? (Be good ZBugger)

What's your favorite tool brand?

Do you have any cheapo tools in your collection?
Do you consider yourself to be a tool snob?

Thanks,
Tony Huntimer

parsonsj
11-19-2006, 08:50 AM
What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself? Don't know. Never used one. I use "ordinary" engine stands and a long bar.

What tools do you have in your tool box? All of them. Seriously, these days I have trouble thinking of new tools I could use.

What's you favorite hand tool? I dig ratchet wrenches and small pneumatic ratchets.

What's your favorite tool brand? Easy: Snap-on. None better.

Do you have any cheapo tools in your collection? Yeah, but I tend to avoid them, and work to replace them over time. I went for cheap Chinese pneumatic sheetmetal tools at one time. Now I use my bandsaw almost exclusively for sheetmetal. Come to think of it, maybe that's my favorite tool.

Do you consider yourself to be a tool snob? I guess. I've found myself lecturing the Sears sales staff on the relative merits of different tools.

jp

slowcamaro
11-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Since I'm to lazy to list all my tools, not that there are THAT many, just that I am THAT lazy...I'll answer the cheap-o tools question.

About 2 years ago I bought a set of wrenches from Wal-Mart just as something to keep in the car, well I turned out liking these better than my standard craftsman wrenches. Just a few days ago I finally ordered the metric set of these wrenches.

Initial quality has been great, though I cant comment on how the chrome or the tools will hold up over time. These wrenches are polished and etched in a similar fashion to craftsman's professional series or snap-on tools if youre more familiar with those.

13 piece combination wrench set cost me $25 shipped via eBay. Made by "Great Neck" and have a lifetime warranty (not sure how this service will be)

Blown353
11-19-2006, 09:14 AM
NAPA sells a reasonably priced 4-leg engine stand with a rotary gear head. They work quite well. My friend has about 10 of them at his engine shop. My biggest gripe about the gear-head engine stands, the NAPA ones included, is they usually don't have any sort of locking mechanism (the gear reduction provides enough resistance the engine cannot spin on its own) and the engine will rock a little due to the backlash in the gears.

As far as brands of tools... the vast majority of my tools are 1960's vintage Craftsman with some same era Snap-On thrown in. When the old Craftsman stuff wears out (a lot of the 12-point sockets are getting worn) I'm typically replacing them with Snap-On because frankly the Craftsman stuff just "isn't made like they used to."

The only nice thing about Craftsman is I have an Orchard Supply 10 minutes away so if I break one I can exchange it ASAP any day of the week. If I break the Snap-On stuff (it happens) I have to track down my buddy with the truck and sometimes wait a day or so.

As far as having cheapo tools... I do have a few. I bought all my impact sockets at Harbor Freight at the recommendation of a friend-- He works at a dealership for a living and in 10 years he has never, ever worn out or broke a Harbor Freight impact socket even though he uses them every day. Another friend who owns a machine shop specializing in heavy ag equipment maintenance & repair also uses them and has never broken or worn out one of them. The best part is they're only $15 or so a set when on sale. Compare that to Snap-On/Mac/Matco.

BADVELLE
11-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Engine stand - manual long bar, never used the "easy" type, I might look into it now.

Tools in my tool box - You name it, I have more than I actually use.

Fav handtool - Combination 1/2" & 9/16", most fond of this one. I am still old fashion, don't get me wrong I do have several air tools, but I prefer the old wrench & ratchet. Also, I do like the newer wrenches with the open end and on the box end it is a ratchet type, very cool.

Brandname tool - Craftsman, althought I have some Snap-On.

Cheapo tools - Maybe a screwdriver or two, that's it, I believe that when buying tools, you get what you pay for (eg. Harbor Freight).

Tool snob - Not sure, don't think so.

Good thread.

chicane67
11-19-2006, 11:01 AM
What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself? >> Norco...

What tools do you have in your tool box? >> Which box ? My KRL1003 alone is stuffed to the gills...

What's your favorite hand tool? >> A few of the custom tools I have made over the years to make life eaiser...

What's your favorite tool brand? >> Snap for sure, but I have tools from them all. There are some tools made by other companies that other dont or they just make a better one...

Do you have any cheapo tools in your collection? >> Yup, sure do. You gotta have something to throw around.

Do you consider yourself to be a tool snob? >> Snob, no. Whore, yes.

shmoov69
11-19-2006, 06:03 PM
What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself? >> Dunno, I got the Sam's cheapie about 15 years ago

What tools do you have in your tool box? >> Alot of the standard stuff with a few unique things thrown in.

What's your favorite hand tool? >> Prolly the Craftsman reversable gear wrenches........And a BFH!!

What's your favorite tool brand? >> Only had "Craftsman" and "Cheapie"!

Do you have any cheapo tools in your collection? >> Most of them, they will work just fine for a "non professional" like myself and let me spend more on other things!

Do you consider yourself to be a tool snob? >> Uhh, what's that!??! Guessing no!

baz67
11-19-2006, 06:44 PM
What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself?I do not know as I what everone else has.

What tools do you have in your tool box?A little bit of everthing. Now I need more metric due to the T56 and LS2.

What's you favorite hand tool? (Be good ZBugger)We all can guess what Allens is:bsjerk: . However, mine must be the BFH because it helps with frustration:box2:

What's your favorite tool brand?Well since I had a Snap-on franchise for a few years I guess it is Snap-on.

Do you have any cheapo tools in your collection?A few screwdrives
Do you consider yourself to be a tool snob?Just trying to get to the level of chicane67.

Camaro Zach
11-19-2006, 07:54 PM
What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself? Don't know

What tools do you have in your tool box? sockets, wrenches, plyers, allen wrenches, torx screwdrivers, drills, files, impacts, benders, mics, you name it.

What's your favorite hand tool? Prolly a ballpeen hammer + the plasma cutter

What's your favorite tool brand? Snap-on is nice but overpriced, wrenches are really thin and their ratchets wear/break quickly. and having to search for a truck for replacements aint fun. Craftsman has my vote, cheaper, easily replaceable (sears is open 7days/week) and all around pretty decent tools.

Do you have any cheapo tools in your collection? Some yes. they are what gets loaned out and or welded to stubborn bolts

Do you consider yourself to be a tool snob? Don't think so

myclone
11-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey guys,

What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself?

I cant tell you what company makes them but I bought one at an auction and hated it. Rather than just bolting the stand head to the back of the engine like the non geared versions while the engine was still on the lift then attaching the rest of the stand you had to spend a bunch of time getting the engine and stand lined up so you could put the bolts in. I gave it away after the first use.

Not enough (is it ever?). Mix n match of craftsman, MAC, crap on...uh...I mean snap on and some cheapy throw away.

What's you favorite hand tool?

MAC 3/8" drive ratchet with a nice screw driver handle molded onto it.

MAC.

Yep...some Ive aquired through trades, auctions, or some Ive actually bought if I knew they would be destroyed (like when you have to weld a socket to a stripped bolt or nut). Bought some cheapy stuff to throw in the trucks to have in case I need to do some simple repairs along side of the road and if someone makes off with them then Im out minimal cash.

Yep.

ProTouring442
11-20-2006, 03:39 AM
What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself? Don't know, but I have seen it. Doesn't help, eh?

What tools do you have in your tool box? Wrenches, sockets, ratchets are SK. Impact sockets are Sunnex (very tough!). Everything else is a mix. Oh, I do have a set of GearWrench brand wrenches too.

What's your favorite tool brand? SK. Nice price, great product.

Do you have any cheapo tools in your collection? A couple... for beating on when required.

Do you consider yourself to be a tool snob? Nah... I sold tools for 9 years, you learn what works and stick with it. Who cares what brand is on the label.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442 (http://www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442)

6'9"Witha69
11-20-2006, 09:38 AM
What company makes an engine stand with a gear head on it to safely turn the engine by yourself? Don't know

What tools do you have in your tool box? Hand tools, Power tools, air tools. Metric and standard. I have spent tons just on tool organizing crap as well.

What's your favorite hand tool? The BFH always brings a smile to my face

What's your favorite tool brand? Craftsman. It is what I have the most of and is the easiest to get.

Do you have any cheapo tools in your collection? Of course. What else can you cut up or bend for a one off need. I have hacked up cheapo tools that have one purpose in life and get used every 3 years or so.

Do you consider yourself to be a tool snob? No, but I don't like really cheap feeling tools (too light doesn't feel right).

mikey
11-23-2006, 10:42 PM
I have very few old (30+ years) craftsman hand tools. New one aren't worth a cra#.The majority of my stuff is Snapon with Mac running second. Then theres some Spitznagel,steck,chicago pnuematic,SK and at least 50 pair of vice grips. Don't really consider myself a tool snob. I'm a body tech on flat rate so if I find a tool that will allow me to do something faster or easier I don't ask the price I just buy it. Eventually it will pay for itself some alot faster than others. Last time I was adding up my tools for insurance purposes I was in the neighbor hood of 30k+ when I jacked up the caculator that does not include the 10k or so at home in case I break a air tool or my spares. Sorry if that makes me a snob to some but you gotta spend money to make money.

Rabidhamster
11-26-2006, 10:41 PM

-don't use one, find it just easier to use the ole long bar. although if I had a Big block buick or something liek that on the stand I'd rather the gear drive

.. I have 3 boxs.. at 3 different locations,
-small box at home in the garage for round home stuff and quick car repairs.. all cheapy husky stuff
- Box at work is snap on, MasterCraft Maximum (cnd tire), and some mac stuff
- Box at the shop is a total 30 year hodge podge.. body and fab tools (was dad's stuff and shop)

What's you favorite hand tool?

- my snap on swivel end ratchet wrenchs.. (I'd better like em.. they freaking cost enough!!!)

-Snap on for specialty, Mastercraft Maximum for all else

-LOTS, although they are migrating from work to the shop and home as I replace/upgrade

-not at all.. I do however get a chuckle when I get harassed at work for some of the prices I've paid for stuff like my wrenchs, and then later they ask to borrow them to get into a stupid place (I'm a toyota tech... theres ALOT of stupid places normal wrenchs don't fit! )