PDA

View Full Version : Column Shifter to Floor conversion?

Mr.VENGEANCE
11-16-2006, 11:19 PM
i searched but didnt find alot about it.

i have a column shifter id like to convert to floor.

what parts do i need to get it done?

i have a 3 speed TH350.

thanks for the help guys!:camaro:

derekf
11-17-2006, 04:08 AM
Floor shifter with cable/linkage and brackets and possibly a wiring harness extension to hook up the new Neutral Safety Switch. On my Camino, I picked up a 69 console/shifter at a swapmeet, then all I needed was the harness extension and the brackets that mount to the transmission.

For the existing column, you can replace the column, or drive out the pin, or use your favorite cutting tool to remove the stalk (or just leave it).

6'9"Witha69
11-17-2006, 09:04 AM
You will also need to secure the column so that it doesn't turn and lock the key from coming out. Happened to a buddy's 67 Chevelle and my car (originally column shift cars).

Mr.VENGEANCE
11-17-2006, 09:53 AM
to mount the shifter to the tranny do you have to drop the tranny out?.. or do you just cut the floor?

derekf
11-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Not sure about Camaros. On mine, I had to drill a 1-inch hole in the floor for the cable to pass through. The bracketry on the other end of the cable mounted to some bosses on the side of the transmission - no removal of the tranny needed, no floor cutting. I'd expect it to be the same on Camaros; I doubt the shifter will directly attach to the transmission.

Definitely pay attention to what Nick said though.. I neglected to mention that part.

Project69
11-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Not all original column shift cars do the columns move, just the bracketry inside them, the column on my friends 68 camaro never moved when he changed it over to a floor shift. The column itself is mounted to the under dash. All he did was cut the bracket coming out of the column and removed the lever rod that went to the transmission shifter lever and mounted a 3 speed shifter to the floor and ran the cable....worked out fine.:cheers: