PDA

View Full Version : 700R4 trouble!

NOVA
10-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Switched carbs and now the 700r4 will not shift into 2nd gear, had to drive it real slow to get it 3 miles home in low gear.
what do I need to do? and did I cook something? drove real slow but I hear the 700's are real delicate?

Z06vet
10-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Did you reset the TVS cable adjustment? Your new carb may have different linkage that puts the cable in a different position than with the other carb. This is the only thing I can think of if you just changed the carb only.
Scott

6'9"Witha69
11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
What type of carb did you have and what did you replace it with? This makes a huge difference. TV cable adjustment is crucial and yes, when it comes to a 700 with an improperly adjusted TV cable, they are VERY delicate.

Mike Holleman
11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
My 700r4 did the same thing once. A very small piece of trash got in the Governor and it refused to shift. Try driving in reverse while speeding up and slowing down to try and clear the trash. If that does not work the governor is external( under a round cover on the LS of the trans) and can be disassembled and cleaned fairly easy. With the carb change the TV cable may need readjustment as well, but I thought I would mention my experience with the stuck Gov.
Good luck.
Mike Holleman

NOVA
11-01-2006, 07:34 PM
What type of carb did you have and what did you replace it with? This makes a huge difference. TV cable adjustment is crucial and yes, when it comes to a 700 with an improperly adjusted TV cable, they are VERY delicate.

I Went from a Demon to a Edelbrock 650 and I did reorder a new cable and carb plate for the new edelbrock carb from Bowtie overdrive today.
the trans shop doubted I hurt anything based on what I told him? I did take it real easy so I am hoping it is o'k?
Thanks.

6'9"Witha69
11-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I Went from a Demon to a Edelbrock 650 and I did reorder a new cable and carb plate for the new edelbrock carb from Bowtie overdrive today.
the trans shop doubted I hurt anything based on what I told him? I did take it real easy so I am hoping it is o'k?
Thanks.Sniff the fluid, see if it smells burnt. When they start to get badly damaged the burnt fluid smells real bad!!