PDA

View Full Version : forced air?

mcindallas
10-30-2006, 12:42 AM
yeah, i know this may be a stupid question and i should probably be banned for thinking it but is it possible to set up forced air to carbed engine and would it be beneficial in any way?

ProBell
10-30-2006, 03:24 AM
No question is stupid. We all have some thing to learn.
Yes it is done all the time. Most commonly seen with a hood scoop and carb pan that forces all the air into the carb instead of just into the engine compartment. A factory cowl hood on a 70 chevelle is a norther example.
Randy

mcindallas
10-30-2006, 04:49 AM
cool, i may try that. I've noticed some trucks had covered filters with a 'hose' leading out behind the grille, next to the radiator . there's a plastic 'plug' which can be removed, it's about 2.5"-3" in diameter, and i was considering using this to force cool air into the carb rather than a hood scoop.

Tom Welch
10-30-2006, 04:23 PM
You may want to try a nascar type of 'ram air' set up. If you dont mind a little cutting of the cowling. The base of your windshield is a high pressure area. This is what allows air to flow through the ventilation system when the a/c is off. If you have a/c then its a challenge. If not then this is even easier to accomplish. By cutting the firewall and opening the cowl it is possible to duct the air coming in to this area directly to the engine for a ram effect. But the air must be ducted and not allowed to go where it pleases. If you let the air flow freely the opening in the firewall will allow hot engine air to flow through the ventilation system and into the passenger compartment all the time, or a full time heater if you will. An alternative to cutting the firewall is removing the blower motor and hooking a duct from the fan opening to the carb. This works quite well if the blower is not needed or if a vintage air unit is used. Look at a nascar vehicle and you will see the air opening at the base of the windshield, this is the opening for ducted air going directly to the carb. The air box is sealed so no hot air gets to the carb for maximum effect.

mcindallas
10-30-2006, 06:08 PM
thanks. i'll have to check this out. my co-worker has a die-cast model in the office. it gives me a little idea of what you're talking about but i need to see the real thing.

oh, and i do have a/c

pitts64
11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
This set up took the ping away from my original 10.5 hi compression 389.
Now with my new 462 its great!!!
Its a factory police hi po 400 air cleaner with a 4" duct.

Zee
11-11-2006, 06:41 PM
http://www.ramairbox.com/product.html