PDA

View Full Version : Corvette or Camaro ABS Swap into my 69

Nutsy
11-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Possible? If so, where can i get the wiring diagrams, manuals etc. What parts are needed besides the ABS Computer and wheel speed sensors? I just saw this on ebay and it sparked my imagination...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7934790910&fromMakeTrack=true

Trev

Fuelie Fan
11-14-2004, 04:01 PM
That's something I've been playing with in my mind but just plain have not gotten around to. I would recommend a later system like the bosch 5.3, though. I have some diagrams for it, but not for the system you've listed

Nutsy
11-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Is there any aftermarket "kits" out there for ABS?

alcino
11-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Is abs worth the effort? Give me any opinion with some kind of backing. I have been thinking about it as well and even have a lincoln mark 8 for parts, but holdback cause of the weight of the components ( I know its not that much), adding complexity to the car (no biggie, I'm an electrical engineer), and seeing a few pro-touring cars getting less than 120 feet in 60mph_to_0 (which is about where you hit -1g) with just good upgraded manual dual master cylinder brakes from wilwood or baer. Food for thought, factory late models with abs are usually a few feet from this give or take (1998 camaro is 139') and anything approaching the 100' mark is "super hero territory" (quote from some magazine) where mclarens, enzos, vipers live.

At the moment I feel that stickier tires is a better investment than ABS upgrade.

Alcino

RobM
11-17-2004, 08:53 PM
i dont like the feel of ABS, not only that i dont think its any safer or even nesisary in a performance car. ive never owned a vehicle with ABS and the only time ive wished i had it was in the rain doing panic stops combined with an evasive turn. Most of us dont even drive in the rain.

Fuelie Fan
11-18-2004, 09:07 AM
I drive my car every day rain or shine.

No doubt there should be priorities, abs shouldn't be installed on a car with Kirkland Signature tires.

I think modern abs systems do very well. I refer again to brake shootout in a magazine article I read where all the baer/wilwood/whatever-equipped hot rods couldn't come close to the abs-equipped vehicles. I wish upon wishes that I had that article.