PDA

View Full Version : To Edelbrock Air Gap Manifold or not to?

69Rathead
11-13-2004, 07:23 PM
I currently have a '74 350 in my '69 Camaro with headers, stock heads and intake manifold, a Carter 600cfm AFB carb. It has a mild cam (the guy called it an R.V. cam? ...What is that exactly? usually for truck/towing?) and seems to perform o.k. or maybe a little above stock certainly not what I would call Pro-street or anything. I was looking at changing the stock intake out to a Edelbrock Permastar finish air Gap manifold mainly because I like the look of it. I am trying spruce the engine a little to make it appear a little tougher and maybe add a little performance too. I was hoping someone here could give me a little feedback on the Air gap and if it is a respectable intake and wether or not it would be a good choice for my application. I don't foresee making any major mods to this engine other than this intake change and maybe change my headers (they are old) to some Thorley headers. I know the Performer RPM is another option but I would prefer the Air gap for looks but which one performs better? Also it seems like I've seen some other "off brand" company that makes a polished air gap manifold but I don't know if they are respectable for this application or can compare to Edelbrock or not? I don't have a tach to see the engines "powerband" so I assume it is close to stock. Anyone have any input?...please pipe up I'm all ears and totally humble! Thanks for any help/advice :lurk:

ProdigyCustoms
11-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Yes an air gap performs well, when properly matched to a engine. Based on what you describe, a Performer may do better for you, but to be honest you probably would not notice a difference between the 2. And since you say performance is secondary, it is a no brainer.
Also, in your case, you could go with the knock off and save the dollars.

69Rathead
11-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Hey thanks for the input...don't know if it makes a difference but I edited the post as I meant Performer RPM manifold not just the regular Performer intake. Yes performance is secondary but if one makes 5 H.P. more than the other I would go with the H.P. as either one would look good polished. How much an improvement over a stock Iron intake is one of these going to make? 15 H.P. if I'm lucky? :dunno:

zuess4u
12-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey thanks for the input...don't know if it makes a difference but I edited the post as I meant Performer RPM manifold not just the regular Performer intake. Yes performance is secondary but if one makes 5 H.P. more than the other I would go with the H.P. as either one would look good polished. How much an improvement over a stock Iron intake is one of these going to make? 15 H.P. if I'm lucky? :dunno:

Since you live in Phoenix, I thought I might let you know, I have a brand new never installed Air Gap intake I can let you have for 100.00 if your interested. Drop me a Pm if your interested, have a turbo too Im trying to sell.

CAMAROBOY69
12-14-2004, 03:46 AM
I am very happy with my Air gap! $100 seems like a good deal for an air gap. Over a stock iron intake I would think you will see a very noticible difference. Not sure on how much hp but I would guess anywhere between 5-15. Plus the weight that you will reduce will help too.

69Rathead
12-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Z Thanks for the reply...I PM'd you definitely interested in the manifold.