PDA

View Full Version : steering coloms

RobM
11-12-2004, 10:54 PM
how much safer would i be with a colapsable steering colom in my car? if im running a cage and frame ties is the car really going to crunch enough to have the colom hit me?

zbugger
11-12-2004, 11:26 PM
You would still be safer. I wouldn't compromise any safety on a car destined for the street.

dennis68
11-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Collapsible columns are not so that they give when they hit you, it so they give when you hit them. It doesn’t matter how much “crumple zone” you have, everybody responds the same in an accident-the body wants to continue in the motion it was already moving. A steering column to the chest or head at 65MPH would probably hurt a little bit, maybe not for very long though.

gmachinz
11-13-2004, 05:56 AM
What kind of column are we talking about here? If you are referring to the stock type columns used in GM cars from the late 70's through the 90's, they do indeed collapse from under hood on frontal hits-not from your body hitting them and then collapsing. The column is bolted under the dash and it is bolted to the floor-there is no give to it from the inside. I do not know if the newer (say mid 90's-up) columns feature internal collapsable features-if they do, then that is the best bet-I'd like to see them collapse from the inside and outside. -Jabin

MuscleRodz
11-13-2004, 09:09 AM
I know the 4 th gen Camaro columns colapse. You might also look at Flaming River columns. They have a neat laser cut area on there columns so they will colapse.

Mike

RobM
11-13-2004, 09:30 PM
the flaming river steering colloms was what i was refering too, right now i have a stock non tilt. im wondering how worried i should be

MuscleRodz
11-13-2004, 09:37 PM
I second Dennis' post, I would rather have and not need than need and not have. You have put the cage in and probably a harness so why quit now? Saftey to me should be first when building thew type of cars we are trying to build.

Mike