PDA

View Full Version : 4L60E AND 4L80E functions

DJW32
10-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Hello,
Does anyone have a link to how these transmissions work/how to setup the throttle position sensor on a NON fuel injected motor? How do you do that? I'm thinking about running a 4l60e on a project truck with a 6.2L diesel motor. The 4l80E may go under the 67...with a twistmachine shifter, damn that shifter is cool

ProdigyCustoms
10-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Steve O at Twist Machine is the 4L guru. He can set you up with the controller and paddle shifter. He has hooked more then anyone I know. Write to him at [email protected]

DJW32
10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Frank,
I will contact steve for the twist machine. thanks

Steve Chryssos
10-09-2006, 07:21 AM
If you are running a carburetor, you can purchase TCI's remote TPS Sensor kit. PN 377400. (Hurry, I think this part is going up in price and it's already pricey) On the other end (about 3 feet away) is a TPS sensor mounted to a block. You simply mount the block, plug in the harness and connect the flexible cable to a ball stud on your carburetor linkage.

Calibration is easy. You don't need to worry about range of motion of your carburetor linkage or anything tricky like that. You simply tell the software the positions for idle and wide open throttle and the commputer does the rest. For example: With the TCI computer, you will look on the "dashboard" screen of your computer. It will tell you that your TPS shows a value of, say, 11 at idle (0% throttle). You type 12 into the minimum setting. Then you push to WOT. Read the value the on the screen--say 67. You type 66 for the maximum limit. I like to repeat the process a coupla times just to be sure that I'm getting consistent readings. And that's it. Your TPS is fully calibrated. Fuel injected applications work the same way except that you don't need to buy the extra remote sensor adapter.

IMPORTANT: Do this BEFORE driving your vehicle.

DJW32
10-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Steve,
I do NOT have the electronic module. I was going to buy the chevy module and try to adapt it for my needs. If I go with the chevy module, do I still need the tci tps sensor?
David

Steve Chryssos
10-09-2006, 09:14 AM
By GM, do you mean the GMPP aftermarket controller or a factory ECU? Either way, I'm sure that you will still need some sort of TPS sensor. The TPS sensor provides load input in conjunction with rpm and driven wheel speed iputs. So a TPS is mandatory.

The TCI TPS kit should work fine. It uses a GM style plug. I'm not sure how you will handle the software calibration of the TPS sensor with a factory ecu. If by GM, you mean GMPP, that controller is simply the TCI unit with a GMPP sticker on it.

DJW32
10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Steve,
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?perfPackages=1&pkgid=119

This is the unit I was talking about

Steve Chryssos
10-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Yup. That's the TCI unit. Search TCI 377000. Same product, but the TCI unit is much cheaper. Available from Jeg's or Summit for $659.95.

DJW32
10-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Steve,
Thanks! You saved me a full two days of searching for answers. I will call you in (I hope) two years(when the camaro is ready) for the twist machine. I love idea and execution of the twist shifter, brilliant. :cheers:
David

Steve Chryssos
10-10-2006, 05:49 AM
David,
You're welcome and thank you.