PDA

View Full Version : Paging Prostreet RT...

shmoov69
10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
From what I understand, you got the info on the Viper's. Well my pops has a SRT/10 pickumup and is wanting maybe some added fun to it. It now has 64,000miles on it and is almost out of warranty. What is avaliable and worthwile on these things?
Thanks

ProStreet R/T
10-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey buddy sorry for the slow reply.

How much power is he looking to make? and whats the budget in mind?

Easiest upgrade imo is the paxton supercharger, bolts right on, comes with all the pcm software, intercooler, etc.

Is it a regular cab or quad cab?

There are TONS of mods available from mild upgrades (intake/headers/tuning) to all out twin turbo kits that will easily make 4 digit rwhp numbers on pump gas.

shmoov69
10-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Power? Dunno, it is his everyday driver. All depends on cost! Is the Paxton a good unit or not really worth the money? It is a regular cab. I know there are bolt on things, but I did not know if they are worth the money if you are not doing a power adder. I have had programers on some things and it seems that they are not worth the cash unless you do a ton of other things too. If you are going to do a bunch of bolt ons, it may be better to do a power adder IMO! But since this is your speciality (from what I understand), I thought I would ask you what your thoughts were. What is a good turbo kit cost? Blower? Supercharger? All complete?
Thanks

ProStreet R/T
10-10-2006, 09:50 PM
IMO the paxton is the way to go for a simple bolt on upgrade. Vipers are making near 700rwhp with no other mods. It comes with everything, all the pcm tuning, plumbing, air/water intercooler, etc. You can gain a few more HP later on by doing some minor mods (normal stuff, headers, rockers...) and upgrading the tuning system to handle more boost, but the Novi 2k is pretty much spent by 800rw. If he seriously thinks he will want more than that, Turbo is the only way to go, but it's a pretty big price jump. Paxton is right around $8k, twin turbos are going to start around $15kish, I don't know the exact figures for the truck stuff.

If he hasn't already, he will want to upgrade to the viper clutch master/slave cylinder. Other than that the trucks are pretty much ready to roll.

As for just doing the normal upgrades, headers, air intake, pcm, roller rockers, that MIGHT get him 60-70rwhp and run $4k+ very easily. These big motors LOVE forced induction, in the HP-per-$$ category it's hard to beat.

If you're into fabing stuff yourself there is a TON of room on the trucks, so building a twin system using the stock exhaust manifolds (they flow surprisingly well) wouldn't be too difficult at all. I'd be happy to help you out with turbo sizing, tuning, etc if you choose to go that route.

shmoov69
10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks. Would the other "upgrades" need to be done for the Paxton?
I did not know that the clutch slave cyl was different, what is the diff?
On the turbo's, fabbing would not be much of a problem, but the tuning and such would be a major issue! Remember, I have a blowthru setup! LOL! A little simpler than EFI!
But with a blower, 700ish rwhp is tough to beat if it "bolts on" and is done! Are the engines reliable at that point? Crank strong enough? Run normal premium gas? Still daily drivable?
Thanks a bunch!

shmoov69
10-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, I stole Pops' truck tonight and took it to the dragstrip for the first time. It has been all year since I have went down the strip, so forgive me! It ran a best (first pass too) of 13.75 @ 101. It bogged a bit off the line but done good after that. I pulled the factory air filter out (that has 65,000 miles on it!!) the next pass and tried to slip the clutch a little with a higer launch RPM, but it did not work and I almost killed it at the line, then bogged really bad. I guess I "slipped" the wrong pedal!! LOL! But it did pick up 3 mph! I guess the air filter made a difference! The next and last pass was pathetic. I brought it up a tad more RPM at launch and it fried the tires. I tried letting off and back on but it just kept on frying them. Then I got frusterated and missed 3rd and then let out early. So, must be time for the Paxton!! LOL!

ProStreet R/T
10-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Sweet dude, not a bad run for your first time to the track in it. Launching a 500hp truck on 22's isn't exactly easy. Add some 18" drag radials and do some suspension work and it will dip into the 11's pretty easily.

But yeah, adding the paxton definitely won't hurt. Nothing wrong with running an 11.80 @ 130 in a 4500lb truck on 22's :bananna2:

camcojb
10-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Sweet dude, not a bad run for your first time to the track in it. Launching a 500hp truck on 22's isn't exactly easy. Add some 18" drag radials and do some suspension work and it will dip into the 11's pretty easily.

But yeah, adding the paxton definitely won't hurt. Nothing wrong with running an 11.80 @ 130 in a 4500lb truck on 22's :bananna2:

I've never seen a stock SRT-10 pickup with drag radials run anything near 11's. And I doubt it would be easy either. I'm sure there are exceptions to nearly anything, but I severely doubt that they easily run 11's with any type of traction you give them.

A friend has a standard cab 6 speed and I don't think he ever got it into the 13's. Now he obviously isn't the best driver out there, but I had a Lightning that at the time was a high 11 second truck on it's best day, and even from a roll where he had traction the Dodge wasn't even a bit of a match.

No, I'm not a Ford guy, I'm a performance guy. I like all brands and have owned most of them. The SRT-10 is a very cool truck, much nicer quality than the Lightning I had, but I don't think that just traction would get any that I've seen into the 11's easily. Now modded is a whole different story, but it sounds like you're saying a stock truck will easily run 11's with traction, and the ones I've seen would not even be close.

Jody