PDA

View Full Version : id like to upgrade my transmission.. first hand account?

Mr.VENGEANCE
10-04-2006, 05:14 PM
here is my setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
406 cubic inch SB chevrolet. This engine is 6.6
The engine block was fully reconditioned (bored .030" over in
the process),
Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads (64cc straight plug
chambers)
Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum intake manifold
Lunati cast crank and pistons assembled for 10:00-1 compression
Lunati "number 10" 292/
292, Lift
.480/ .480
Holley 750 vacuum advance carburetor
GM HEI distributor
The transmission is a TH350 3 speed automatic.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

id like to give it a more street friendly transmission..
something that can do well on the highway.

whats a good transmission that wont slow down the setup im running now. 700R4 a 4L60E? or a turbo 4 speed?

and has anyone put in a 5or6 speed with these engines?
i know i might sound like an idiot but hell i dont know..

thanks fellas!

Steve Chryssos
10-04-2006, 06:20 PM
You're not an idiot at all. Times are changing with regards to automatic transmissions. The first step is the most important: Add overdrive. It really makes all the difference in the world--especially if you get your rear gearing and carburetor right.

From there you need to choose between electronic, non-electronic or a gear splitter.

NON-ELECTRONIC:
If you will go non-electronic, the 2004R Is the best choice. Reliable, lightweight, easy to install, and affordable. But you want one that is built right. That means finding a concensus on good builders--not just one happy customer, but a whole line of people. Avoid the 700R4
ELECTRONIC:
Given your power level, you can get by with a well built 4L60E. The 4L60E is more reliable than its non electronic brother the 700R4. Why? Because electronic tuning allows you to dial out unnecessary harsness or slippage. Tune it just right, and it will work great. In fact, the ability to custom tune shift timing and firmness will just about transform the personality of your hot rod. Hard to believe until you've tried it. The tuning ability comes at a price though. You will need a separate computer and a throttle position sensor kit. The electronics run roughly $850-$900 if you go with TCI (Computer: $659; TPS kit: $199-$250)
GEAR SPLITTER:
If you already have a well built TH350 that you trust, it might make sense to add a gear splitter from Gear Vendors. They ain't cheap, but you'll be spending money on a replacement trans, so the net cost is there either way. Downside? I never tried one, so I can't really say. Turbo 350's are reliable, gear splitters are reliable. So reliability is not a concern. The only thing missing is the tuning capability of the 4L60E. Gear splitters are electrical, but not electronic, so you don't get the tuning capability. If you are happy with the way that your TH350 shifts now, that is not a concern.

So the 200 is affordable and simple, the 4L60E is high tech customizable, and the gear spliiter makes sense if you are happy with your existing transmission. All three solutions work.

Mr.VENGEANCE
10-04-2006, 07:01 PM
damn Steve! with one fail swoop you go and answer a confusing subject.

well i want to get overdrive.. just so i doesnt seem like im high reving at highway speeds does the 4L6OE have built in overdrive?

also.. is there a specific 4L60E that is compatible to my setup?.. i was looking on ebay for a nice refurbished one and there seems like so many types of the same thing!

Steve Chryssos
10-05-2006, 05:03 AM
Yup. 4L60E has .70:1 overdrive. In my 68, I run a 3.70 gear and a 2600 stall converter. With my 25.5" tall rear tires, the car runs at 2400 rpm at 70mph. Our engines are similar. If you want to go with a 3.55 gear, lower the stall speed a bit for best off idle response. Any of the pre-LS1 4L60E cases will work.

After watching that black AirRide Camaro run at RTH2, I'm recommending Bowler Transmission for a 4L60E if that is the way you want to go. You can hear it in the following video:

https://www.pro-touring.com/events/pigeon_forge_2006/air-ride-2nd-gen-camaro-medium.wmv

68 SuperRam
10-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Just finished swapping my 700R4 with the Bowler 4l60E today - did not finish it tonight - missing a wire harness adapter - Bowler to send it to me overnight - and finish the install tomorrow.

First had experience enough for you - Bowler is great!!

Steve Chryssos
10-06-2006, 05:36 AM
J,
I just received your voicemail. The NSA must have been hanging on to it for a while or something. Glad to hear that you are all taken care of.

68 SuperRam
10-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks - just need to re-read the instructions to get the basic programming going - but was able to drive it home from the garage and it seemed to shift fine - but still need to hook up the speedo - but put the male lead on for a quick connection - while I was under the car - still want to research the isolation diode to only allow the signal out of the tranny to go in one direction only - eliminate the potential for unwanted feedback back to the computer. Will try to hook the laptop up this weekend.