PDA

View Full Version : How to build custom cold air intake?

ilovefirstgens
09-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Wellin an effort to streamline my engine bay im looking to replace my fugly 90* elbow with maf and airfilter attached, all of which are exposed, and the air filter is directly behind the radiator, so i cant imagine its doing too well in the cool air dept.

So for those of you who have built them how the heck do you? What size tubing, any flaring to get the hose clamps to stay on etc.

parsonsj
09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Might not be the answer you were looking for ... but I put the throttle body back where it belongs: on top of the engine. Add real cowl induction, and presto: cold air to the motor. No elbows required.

ilovefirstgens
09-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Might not be the answer you were looking for ... but I put the throttle body back where it belongs: on top of the engine. Add real cowl induction, and presto: cold air to the motor. No elbows required.

:getout:

haha only problem is your engine probably costs near what my whole car does...

Rybar
09-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Buy some 3.5" or 4" tubing and measure cut and weld, I am sure most any exhaust guy could do it. I'd also recommend tig-welding it for better clean-up of the welds.

ProBell
09-15-2006, 02:45 AM
Steve at FAB-U-THIS built this for me. It was a big improvment in performance. Randy < This ______ computer will not let me attach pictures, Take a look at my PT Garage to see some, I will post some more tonight when I get home.>

toxicz28
09-15-2006, 04:25 AM
What size tubing,

You really need to measure what you have. The throttle body on a ramjet 350 needs 3.5" tubing (it's actually 3 5/8" if I remember correctly). If you decide to take the budget route for the connectors, and use sewer pipe connectors, bring a piece of the tubing you're using with you to Home Depot. The od of a 3.5" exhaust pipe is smaller than a 3.5" sewer pipe.

Damn True
09-15-2006, 06:22 AM

Would love to have an engine like that. Minus about 100hp and in an OE displacement so that I could perhaps afford it.

Super-nice JP. Well done.

Rybar
09-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Brian, this site has some good pics on what to do: http://www.pbase.com/steven69/engine_lt1_350_t56_trans

ilovefirstgens
09-15-2006, 11:43 AM
okay well I was thinking to use 4" 16 gauge exhaust tubing. Ill have to convert to a bigger maf but whatever.

So you dont have to put any kind of lip on the tubing for the clamp to have something to hold onto?

Im using it as an excuse to get some welding practice so it will be oxyacetaline, clean everything up and then ill send it out to be powdercoated black.

If only I had my car so I could figure out how huge of an air filter i can fit and how...

Lastly does anyone have a source for those band clamps and silicone or whatever hose bits, summit gives me nothing...

Rybar
09-15-2006, 12:49 PM
I used 3.5" tubing with no lips on the end. I used a Turbonetics reducer 4" to 3.5" for the TB. I also think Vibrant makes these reducers (Import parts) And extended my MAF & AIT sensor wires. The Filter is approx. 10-12" long. and after the welds were grinded I had it ceramic coated.

ProBell
09-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Here are some pictures of what we did.

ilovefirstgens
09-16-2006, 10:00 PM
wow, definately way out of my league fabrication wise, not to mention it would never work on my car with the stock rad support and latch. stoll very nice work!

parsonsj
09-18-2006, 07:24 AM
does anyone have a source for those band clamps and silicone or whatever hose bits, summit gives me nothing..Have you looked at McMaster-Carr?

http://www.mcmaster.com

Search on coolant hose. I think that's what you're looking for.

jp

jaybee
09-18-2006, 01:35 PM
VERY nice work ProBell!

ProBell
09-19-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks , I must pass the complements on to Steeve at Fab-U-This. He is a good friend and one he-- of a fabricator.Thanks to all my freinds that helped me I am able to have the car I have.
Thanks Randy

Samckitt
09-19-2006, 04:51 AM
I have ordered some aluminum tubing from these guys to make my cold air intake:

http://stores.ebay.com/Treadstone-Performance

They have silicone couplers & the band clamps as well.

What diameter tubing are you using?

ilovefirstgens
09-19-2006, 07:24 PM
dammit that would be perfect, if only i could weld aluminum...

Samckitt
09-20-2006, 01:52 AM
I have mine mocked up & duck taped together. I am gong to see if I can find someone at work today who can/will weld it.

Samckitt
09-21-2006, 10:28 AM
I have gotten most of mine welded today (will attach pics tonight), I need to figure out for sure where a mounting bracket needs to be & have it welded on too. Here is what it will look like when finished, only in aluminum.

Scot :wrc: