PDA

View Full Version : 700R4 to 4L60E Swap next week - any pointers?

68 SuperRam
09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
I am looking to replace my 700R4 with my new 4L60E – which I just received from Bowler - probably early next week. I will be using the TCI computer controlled unit – and the question that I have – are there any helpful points that anyone can pass along that would assist me in this install. I know the casing is the same size – Bowler already did the pre-programming for me and put it on the dyno – so I know that it should start and run fine. I also purchased the additional harnesses that I would need – TPS sensor and distributor connection (just want the install to go as smooth and hassle free as possible – without having to worry about me or the mechanic shop splicing connections during the initial install). I already have an elect speedo – so that should just plug in – and then just recalibrate it. I also purchased a new cross member from BRP. Any points – please pass along – Thanks FYI – 350 block Superram fuel injected – with HEI.

Steve Chryssos
09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
1) Is your speedometer uncalibrated? If so, leave it unplugged while performing the initial transmission function test. An uncalibrated speedo usually causes the transmission to get confused resulting in no upshifts. Test the trans, make it right, then go back and calibrate the speedo. If the speedo has already been calibrated i.e. pulse per mile count of 2000 or higher, you should be okay. The trans will shift which will allow you to go out on the street to do a final speedo calibration. It's an odd little Catch 22. Trans first, speedo 2nd.
2) Install the trans cooler fittings and lines before you lift the trans into place. It's a tight fit, so running the lines beforehand will save some knuckle scraping. Just make a loop of the cooler lines as you lift the trans in place. The following part number works great: Russell 612000. They save some space.
3) Make sure you have the proper converter bolts BEFORE you hump the trans into place. Test the threads.
4) Get an Impala SS dipstick from your local Chevy dealer. It may require some minor bending to fit in place depeninng on valve cover selection and engine placement. But it is accurate and offers a reliable seal. I do not trust the accuracy of aftermarket dipsticks.
5) Finally, test the trans with the rear wheels on jackstands--The rear wheels should be a coupla inches off the ground. And the front wheels should be chocked. This is better than driving the the car around as a first test since there is no load on the drivetrain. Make sure it shifts on jackstands, then go for a spin.

68 SuperRam
09-14-2006, 03:49 PM
1) The Elec Speedo is stock from Auto meter - never calibrated it - because of the tranny slipping that I always had - hard to do the 2 mile calibration, and not ceratin if the gear in the transmission for speedo was correct or not - was told it was a 3.73 gears but was never 100% sure. Wouldn't the stock speedo be already calibrated from the factory - if the gear ratio was correct in the tranny - or if tranny is electric - just curious as the tranny shop wanted to know gear ratio and mech or elec speedo.
2) Mark hooked me up with a tranny line kit and adapter fittings - so I will scrap the hard lines that I and connect them before I put the tranny up - thanks for the tip.
3) I asked Mark for the torque bolts also - did not want to mess around with missing bolts.
4)Hmm - wish I knew - I have a Lokar dipstick for it.
5) Will test the car on the ground.

Tranny should be delivered at the garage tomorrow - put the car on the lift Monday night - do the swap on Tues.

I am not planning on hooking up the laptop - at the shop - as Mark already did the pre-calibration for me - unless you think that it is better to have it.

I will read the instructions over the weekend - and see if I have another questions.

I will do the paddle shifting piece probably around the Holiday or first thing in the Spring - in the my garage.

I was talking to Dirk at the Mammorneck car show - this past weekend - he told me to tell you that I leave near him - for a point of reference for you come around to fine tune the paddle shifting - :twothumbs

Steve Chryssos
09-15-2006, 04:49 AM
When you wire up the VSS (wires from tailshaft of trans to speedo), put a male/female plug connector into the speedo sender to VSS wire. That way you can unplug the speedo if it gives you a hard time.

The speedo is likely to be completely uncalibrated. For my car, I put the rear wheels on jackstands, initiated the calibration process and just ran the car up to some arbitrary number like 2500 pulses per mile. You will see the counter on the speedo. That got me in the ballpark, so that the car would shift. Then I went out on the street and repeated the speedo calibration process to the full extent. I think the final speedo calibration pulse per mile number with my 3.70 gears was 3500 (??).

All you need to know for now is that if the trans does not upshift out of first, the uncalibrated speedo is likely to be the culprit. If it happens, snip the sender wire.

68 SuperRam
09-15-2006, 09:39 AM
O.K. - perhaps I will try to calibrate it before I do the swap - just to be a better ball park.

You wouldn't happen to be near Westchester on Tues would you? Just a thought.