PDA

View Full Version : BBC cooling with Procharger and A/C

whytry
08-22-2006, 07:49 AM
I am running a 468 BBC, with the F1R Procharger non-intercooled, and will be running the classic auto air A/C setup. For the radiator I have the universal Griffin radiator 31x19x3 dual row aluminum with the Flex a lite Black Magic electric fan FLX-150, 15" fan and 2,800 cfm. Without the A/C installed in the car the car would run temps of around 210-220, with temp gauge in the intake manifold, running a 180 termostat. I switched to a 160 termostat and it still runs around 210-220. I took the termostat out completely and it runs around 200-210. Adding the A/C system now, should I look at adding another fan? I am thinking it will definitely affect air getting to the radiator to cool it down.... Am I thinking about this correct? Trying to plan ahead so when I get the A/C done I already have a plan of what needs to happen if anything...

Thanks!!

whytry
08-22-2006, 08:39 AM
After searching around for a little while, I thought I should add some more details.

The fan is currently set to a relay and toggle to come on when I turn it on, (at startup), and I leave it on the whole time I drive it. I am also running the Meziere electric Water pump.

From what I can tell I should put the 160 termostat back in, but from there I am seeing different opinions. I have read the DC controller and a Mark VIII fan, change the shroud on the fan, add "Flappers" if I decide to shroud the entire radiator (rather than just the fan)...

camcojb
08-22-2006, 09:06 AM
You need a better fan like the Mark VIII. All the difference in the world. I've never had those fans you are using do nearly as well, even without a blower. The Mark VIII is 4500-5000 cfm.

Jody

blown69nova
08-22-2006, 06:33 PM
I had a zirgo 3000 cfm fan (?) on my procharged small block and it would go to 190 at slow speeds (220 hot weather) and 210 on the freeway. I put a factory style 17" steel blade fan (because of room) without a shroud and now I see 180 slow speeds and 165 on freeway! This is all with a 160 t-stat
Steve

whytry
08-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Can I run the Mark VIII fan without running it through the water pump? I have an electric water pump (no pulley).... Will this make a difference in the getting the Mark VIII fan or not?

gmachinz
08-30-2006, 03:44 PM
You really need to look into a Mark VIII fan. It sounds as if you can't pull enough heat out to make a difference with your current fan. Our Spal PWM controllers can control your fan and water pump, or either if you want. Call or email me for details on how you need to configure everything. We're primarily a G-body shop but even if that's not what you're dealing with, I have the answers for ya! -Jabin

jigg
12-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Do you have a shroud for the mark vIII fan for a 31x19 rad

gmachinz
12-27-2006, 08:50 PM
The Mark

gmachinz
12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
The Mark VIII fan incorporates its own shroud. It's regarded as the best electric fan on the market at the moment. The only issue would be size constraints. With careful trimming, you can fit it into a space 4.5" in depth. Without the use of a quality PWM controller, you can expect an amp draw of 30-35 continuous at full speed if you trigger it off a relay. If that's the case, I would recommend an alternator upgrade and using a HD relay rated at 50 amps or higher, which we stock. Using a good controlle on the other hand negates the need for an alternator upgrade so doing so usually ends up saving you money in the long run plus extends the life of the fan motor.