PDA

View Full Version : TH700 in a 1980 Z28

scottyz
08-19-2006, 02:48 AM
I just found a TH700 that must have been in a Iroc. It is attached to a TPI motor and has the tailstock for a torque arm like the Irocs had. The fluid smells fresh and it looks like it had been recently rebuilt. What would I have to do/change to get this to work in my 1980 Z28?

Texas Hotrod
08-20-2006, 02:46 PM
The hardest part of the conversion is making sure the kick-down (t.v.) cable works like it's supposed to. The 700 is operated by the function of the t.v. cable. If you have a Q-jet and it has the tab to connect the cable to, it'll be easier. If you have a Holley, you'll have to make/order the cable connector. Most TH350s use the same style of cable as the 700, it just depend on what you have now.
TPI cables are longer than the ones used on TBI/carb, I think TBI and carb'd engines use the same cable. You'll need the proper cable bracket too.
Do you have a short tail or a long tail 350 (or is it a TH400?)? The 700 is slightly longer than the 350, so the crossmember will need to be moved back a few inches. A long tail 350 can use the same drive shaft w/o any changes, a short tail 350 (or th400) needs a longer drive shaft.