PDA

View Full Version : Forced to start project over....

BB69
08-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this, but since it makes for a project: I got rearended this morning in the Camaro on the way to work. That collision drove me into the car in front of me. The car is a mess. (No pics now because the wife is traveling with the digital camera.) Anyway, the guy behind me got a ticket, so I think that will makes things go better with the insurance company. I had just turned the insurance on for the Woodward Cruise weekend. I was taking the car to work for our pre-Woorward car show.

The rear of the car was hit pretty bad. The trunk won't open, and the impact damaged the fuel tank, so it's leaking. Of course, I had just filled the tank with premium. The radiator was driven into the fan, so it's shot. It looks like it will need all new sheetmetal in the front, or someone that really know what there are doing. The back will need a tail panel and who knows what else.

I expect to hear from my agent anytime now. Hopefully, something good will come of this, like a new paint job for a car that desparately needed one. I'll try to post pics when I get a camera, but I had to tell someone. I have a sore neck, but otherwise, I think I am handling this OK. I was pissed when it happened, and will probably get mad again as I get into this further.

So, I won't have the Camaro at any of the cruise events, and the Corvette still isn't ready, so I will come down and watch.:dunno:

Ken

BADVELLE
08-18-2006, 05:28 AM
It goes without saying, but that really sucks Ken!!! Sorry to hear, you talk about bad luck! Enjoy the cruise this weekend the best you can.

formula
08-18-2006, 05:32 AM
ah man...ain't that a b*tch! I got rearended in our family van the other day...no fun! no fun at all!

Take care of your back...whiplash ain't no joke. I'm in mild rehab for 3-4 months from my hit.

BB69
08-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks guys. I'm trying to not get too pissed now.

I'm trying to think of the bright side. Maybe, I will get a new paint job. If my wife sees the car with fresh new paint, maybe she won't be in a hurry to sell the car. (We had been talking about it.) I'm looking for shops now. If someone knows of a good shop in the Detroit area, I would appreciate a reference.

Thanks again. It's good to vent sometimes.

Ken

jy211
08-18-2006, 06:40 AM
can't sell it broken! :hand:

Sorry to hear about the accident....

Mr.VENGEANCE
08-18-2006, 06:57 AM
awww f*ck!.. that sucks man.. sorry!

astroracer
08-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Sorry to hear that Ken! I know the whole situation has to suck!
Sounds like you'll have to have some major tweaking done to the unibody to straighten it out... Was the hit in the front off-center and above the sub-frame or did it get into the frame?
If you need any help give me a holler, I can stand around and give direction with the best of 'em...
Mark

trapin
08-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Ken....that totally sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

If you want I can give you the number to my guy. He's not a shop...independent body man.

He's in Macomb Township (about 45 minutes from you).

BB69
08-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Mark,
The hit was basically a little to the passenger side. The front right fender is wrinkled up pretty bad. The rear bumper has been pushed in about 8-10 inches. From what I can tell, the sub frame is fine in the front. I haven't crawled under the back yet.

I was talking with a buddy and trying to figure out how it will go from here. Maybe, it's possible I can same some of the money by having a friend do the bodywork. (I have a standing offer, but it's in Cleveland.) Then, depending on how the insurance works, I can upgrade some things. I would like to get rid of the vinyl top, spray it the original red, and get all the RS headlight stuff working properly.

We'll see. It wasn't the way I saw the project going, but again, I am trying to make something good of it. Hopefully, the wife will see it the same way.

Ken

BonzoHansen
08-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Dammit. I hope you are ok.

BB69
08-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Ken....that totally sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

If you want I can give you the number to my guy. He's not a shop...independent body man.

He's in Macomb Township (about 45 minutes from you).

That would be great. I don't know how this will play out, but having some good references will help.

Thanks
Ken

Mean 69
08-18-2006, 07:32 AM
I got rear ended almost a year ago in our 1962 Corvette. The damage wasn't as bad as you describe, but it still completely sucked. I will say though, and this is hard for a lot of people to grasp, but it is "only" a car. Yes, it might be a financial setback, and it's not an ideal situation, but you are still alive and in one piece. If the car can't be fixed, you can ultimately buy another one. Hopefully your sore neck isn't serious, but you should have it looked at. Anyway, glad to hear in general that you're okay. Collisions are not fun.

Mark

BB69
08-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Dammit. I hope you are ok.

Thanks, I seem to be fine. I took some ibruprofen and the neck feels better. I had just adjusted the factory head rest, so I hope that helped. I have a feeling the neck will be sore for a day or two.

Ken

Steve68
08-18-2006, 09:04 AM
That blows, I hope the guy said sorry, I would have been real pissed,

BB69
08-18-2006, 09:15 AM
The guy did say he was sorry. He was on his way to a job, and I feel a little bad for him. He'll be late for the job, and his insurance rates will probably go up a fair amount, being as how he is responsible for a lot of damage to two cars. As much as I am pissed at him, I still feel bad for the guy. Of course, if he had been paying a little more attention, he wouldn't have to pay the insurance. I wasn't even like I had the lock the tires up to stop. He must have just been slow on the brakes.

I have started to get some recommendations for shops, and my buddy is coming over with his camera to take some pics. I have some calls to make as well, but I am already trying to picture what this car can look like. It's not like it had never been hit before. I can see bondo in a lot of places where the metal has been wrinkled up. Still trying to stay positive and realize this is my opportunity to do this car the right way. The chassis stuff is basically done, and I don't think any of it got damaged. With some fresh paint and properly aligned panels, I will end up with a nice car.

Ken

TonyHuntimer
08-18-2006, 10:58 AM
That sucks. That is definitely a fear of mine since I drive mine every day.

Glad you are okay.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

trapin
08-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Ken...you have a PM.

Derek69SS
08-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Hopefully you had collectors insurance! (?)

The other guys' insurance will most likely try to shaft you on the repairs, but if you deal through your own insurance, they should be pretty easy to work with, especially if it was a collector-insurance policy.

DO NOT agree to whatever they lowball offer you for the repairs. It won't be enough, and if you go through your collectors policy, the shop can keep going back for more for time/materials as needed.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Damn, that sucks! So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope it all works out in the end with the new project goals.

BonzoHansen
08-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Hey, Steeveo's 68 got hit, and look at it now. You got hope!

BB69
08-18-2006, 07:19 PM
I have an agreed value policy with State Farm. It's a classic car policy. I have no idea what to expect, because I have never had to do this before. I talked with my agent today, and am supposed to call them again on Monday when I know where I want to take the car.

My buddy came over with a digital camera, so here she is:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/DSCF0011-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/DSCF0009-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/DSCF0003-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/DSCF0007-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/DSCF0003-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/08/DSCF0002-1.jpg

Texas Bob
08-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Man I feel your pain. Hopefully all will go well with your agent. I've had state farm forever, and they've always been good to deal with so maybe you'll have the same experience.

BonzoHansen
08-18-2006, 07:57 PM
:( Who is your carrier?

BB69
08-18-2006, 08:04 PM
:( Who is your carrier?

State Farm. I've been with them for something like 10 years. This will be the first time dealing with something like this.

Ken

Steve68
08-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Ken I have a nice GM 69 bumper if your interested, just helping you get started,

mikesz
08-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Disclaimer: Don’t take any of this as fact without verifying it. I typed this from my limited experiences when I lived in PA in hopes that it might help you get the most out of this unfortunate incident.

When you show the car to the adjuster it may help to present the car in the best way. Tell them the car was perfect, no matter what you really thought of the paint, mechanicals or otherwise. They can’t really check if the hideaway headlights work anymore! Tell them about what you’ve done to it, money you’ve invested, make sure they know it’s your baby and you will expect it to be fixed right. You also may want to clean it up. Wash it, clean the wheels, dress the tires, clean the interior. You know what they say about first impressions.

Try to have some documentation to show or help determine the total worth of the car. It looks like you may be in total loss territory. Any adjuster I’ve ever asked to in a total loss case wrote the estimate the highest they could without declaring the car a total loss. That number will be a percentage of total value, so obviously you want to get that figure as high as you possibly can. The amount you get by this method will be less than what you get if they total the car. In one instance I got greedy and totaled out the car, got more money for it, and bought it back with a salvage title. I then fixed the car and got the R title. It is a pain in the ass IMO and not worth it.

Judging by the visible cosmetic damage I would be worried about structural damage as well, particularly the right side rear frame rail. Make sure you get everything covered the first go around. The adjuster may assume that you will have a shop repair it which can re-evaluate the repair estimate and ask for more money. If you ask the insurance company to cut you a check so you can have your buddy fix it, this may not be the case.

Mike

BB69
08-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Disclaimer: Don’t take any of this as fact without verifying it. I typed this from my limited experiences when I lived in PA in hopes that it might help you get the most out of this unfortunate incident.

When you show the car to the adjuster it may help to present the car in the best way. Tell them the car was perfect, no matter what you really thought of the paint, mechanicals or otherwise. They can’t really check if the hideaway headlights work anymore! Tell them about what you’ve done to it, money you’ve invested, make sure they know it’s your baby and you will expect it to be fixed right. You also may want to clean it up. Wash it, clean the wheels, dress the tires, clean the interior. You know what they say about first impressions.

Try to have some documentation to show or help determine the total worth of the car. It looks like you may be in total loss territory. Any adjuster I’ve ever asked to in a total loss case wrote the estimate the highest they could without declaring the car a total loss. That number will be a percentage of total value, so obviously you want to get that figure as high as you possibly can. The amount you get by this method will be less than what you get if they total the car. In one instance I got greedy and totaled out the car, got more money for it, and bought it back with a salvage title. I then fixed the car and got the R title. It is a pain in the ass IMO and not worth it.

Judging by the visible cosmetic damage I would be worried about structural damage as well, particularly the right side rear frame rail. Make sure you get everything covered the first go around. The adjuster may assume that you will have a shop repair it which can re-evaluate the repair estimate and ask for more money. If you ask the insurance company to cut you a check so you can have your buddy fix it, this may not be the case.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for that advice, I hadn't thought about things like cleaning the car. I have been avoiding looking at the car. I'll get it cleaned up and ready for inspection. As for having my friend do it, it doesn't seem to be the way to go. I have been getting responses from a lot of people, and I'm leaning towards taking to a shop. I don't doubt my buddy knows what he's doing, it's just that the possibility of finding more damage as the car comes apart scares me.

Steve,
I'll let you know on the bumper. Thanks for the offer.

Ken

mikesz
08-19-2006, 08:45 AM
I don't doubt my buddy knows what he's doing, it's just that the possibility of finding more damage as the car comes apart scares me.

Ken

If a shop repairs a car on an estimate just below total loss, and after investing time and money into the repair they realize that the car has more damage, does the insurance punt and total the car or do they invest more money in it?

If the answer is they total the car, and you can rack up the tab to get the maximum disbursement from the insurance, there is no reason (insurance wise) not to give the business to your buddy. We are also assuming that once the insurance cuts you a check that you cannot go back and get more money for damage found later. This would be a good question for the adjuster.

Mike

BA.
08-19-2006, 09:43 AM
wow dude, that totally sucks. I feel your pain. In fact, I had damage on the front almost exactly like that!
The pics look like she's very fixable obviously, I don't think it's near totaled myself.
Write out an itemized plan on what you want to do differently and you'll feel a little better, and have the pricing knowledge to go with the body work you'll need done there.
Hopefully those quarters will get back inline when the new rear panel goes into place.

Good luck man.

PS. Love that color!! That's a factory color right?

(hey, click on the link in my sig. for some nasty, nasty damage. you might feel better! lol!)

BB69
08-19-2006, 02:29 PM
wow dude, that totally sucks. I feel your pain. In fact, I had damage on the front almost exactly like that!
The pics look like she's very fixable obviously, I don't think it's near totaled myself.
Write out an itemized plan on what you want to do differently and you'll feel a little better, and have the pricing knowledge to go with the body work you'll need done there.
Hopefully those quarters will get back inline when the new rear panel goes into place.

Good luck man.

PS. Love that color!! That's a factory color right?

(hey, click on the link in my sig. for some nasty, nasty damage. you might feel better! lol!)

Wow, the damage in the pic is basically identical to mine. I was wondering how different it would have been with all the front end pieces on, but it looks like that would just have increased the number of parts that needed replacing.

What did you do with your car?

The color on mine is not the original color. The original is garnet red. The paint looks good in pics and from 10 feet, but it's a different story up close. Take a look at the front running light in the pics, and I think you can see the quality of the paint job that the previous owner did.

Ken

BA.
08-19-2006, 05:22 PM
The damage in the thumbnail was my fault. Massive intersection, a few cars in front of me pulled away, I got to just about middle of intersection and got caught looking left at traffic. BAM!! The car in front of me had cold stopped! Right in the middle of the intersection. No explanation. Bastages.
I replaced the header panel, valance panel and that support brace in the middle and that was it. Good to drive again.

The massive damage in my PT Garage was *not* my fault, but happened on my birthday with a young lady pulling left in front of me. I locked 'em up and hit her, then bounced off and ran smack into a metal pole. Tires locked up all the way. :( Bad juju.

That was the start of it's hibernation and now restoration.

The damage on the rear of your car is more worrisome than the front I think. Gotta hope for no frame rail damage like was mentioned by someone else, and I wonder if anything will be needed to your trunk pan.
Hope all goes well with your insurance!
You are working through them and having them work with the other insurance company aren't you? That's the way I've done it. That way you get prompt fast service/$$$ (ideally) and not have to bicker with the other guys insurance company.

qwik1320
08-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Ken,
I had the same thing happen to me in my 73 three years ago. I was on my way to a car show and got rear-ended and pushed into a car making a left turn in front of me. I feel your pain, good luck.

00fxd
08-20-2006, 11:23 AM
mikesz, is giving good advise here, Ya gotta go in high. You can always go down [kicking and scratching] but you can't go up.
This situation is one of my fears as well. I wuz thinking about this very situation just yesterday while I was watching my mirror there was someone following a little close with a car full of kids. I if that happened to me in my Corvette I would instantly get out and smoke the guy. He hit you. That'll make him pay attention in the future. Remember to deny, deny. Don't remember a thing. He musta got that nasty cut in the accident.... Oh, and I beg to differ, It's not just a car. It's a '69 Camaro. They don't make them any more [actually I guess they do]. A volkswagen or a toyota is just a car.

BB69
08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I got the car on the trailer, and I will be calling the places that were recommended to me first thing in the morning. The bad news is that both rear frame rails appear to be buckled in the same spot. The real fun should start tomorrow when I call the agent back. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Ken

BB69
09-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Well, this insurance thing has taken much longer than I expected. I just got off the phone with the claims agent, and she says they will have to hire an independent appraiser. Here's the basics:

I paid $10,900 for the car in October 2002.

I had an appraisal that same month for $15,000.

I thought I had an agreed value policy, but I screwed up on that with my agent.

The bumper, turn signal lenses (lower), grill, RS headlight mechanisms, and wipers were not on the car when it was hit because I was still putting it together.

She says the car would not have been worth $15,000 in the condition it was in. So, what can I do? I asked her if there was anything I could do, and she said no. She keeps repeating that it was missing parts. I'm expecting a pretty low offer now. Any ideas?

Ken

Steve Firebird
09-11-2006, 12:56 PM
That does not sound right. I think I might hire my own aprasial done just to make myself feel better. If your car was as nice as it looked I think 15000.00 is low. The bumper and grill should not affect that value that much.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Ken,

I've never had to deal with an insurance claim before, so take this with a grain of salt. If you had your car appraised in 2002 for $15,000, even with missing parts, I'd be complaining it's worth $20,000+ in 2006 (assuming no significant neglect). Ask your agent if she's seen the ever-increasing prices of muscle cars over the past three years. These cars were definitely cheaper in '02 then they are now. Have your own independent appraisal done, and go from there.

Bandit
09-11-2006, 02:16 PM
I feel for you man, that whole situation is just a real b*tch.
Like you said, if there is one good thing about this, it is that now you have an excuse to go through everything and fix some areas that may have been needing attention for awhile.

Just too bad that you had to get set back like this.

Paul

BB69
09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys. I have started looking up cars on the net, and printing them out. I am also going to get a copy of Hemmings and Auto Trader. My neighbor is an insurance adjuster, and he said the same thing about another appraisal. So, I will probably do that. They keep asking me what I want to do with the car, but I don't know how money I will get for it. I still owe a little over $4K on it. So, that will come off the top (a good thing for me.)

Lots of homework ahead I guess. It just is really starting to piss me off, because I have all my insurance through State Farm, I have always paid on time, and this is the first real claim I have ever had (small pickup got rear ended, very minor damage).

Ken

BA.
09-11-2006, 02:53 PM
You MUST get your independant appraisal even if it means money out of your pocket or credit card!

You do want the car fixed right? Don't sway from that, keep telling them that the car will be fixed.

If you can get a "national" appraisal company, all the better.

Don't hesitate to talk to a regional manager. Hell, I'll help you get the name/number if I have to! :bananna2:

J-Rod
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't have any experience with the rear end collision, but that front end is definitely fixable. I was recently in a wreck (farmers is my carrier) where someone pulled out in front of me. They ruled it 100% her fault, and the repair shop i took it to cashed in. As an insurance claim, the wreck below came in at 6k to fix. BTW, the wreck you see, had no frame damage. I'll will tell you this; The more your body shop knows of old cars (particularly your own) and the better relationship they have with the insurance co. adjusters in the area, the better. And now for the eye candy:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

JoshStratton
09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I feel so bad for you. I am terrified to drive in Michigan for that very reason. No-fault accident policies SUCK. I am just surprised you are receiving this kind of treatment from your own carrier. If you were in any other state, you would get that treatment from the other guys' carrier.

BB69
09-12-2006, 09:45 AM
First, I have to admit a large part of my situation is my fault. I should have read and understood my policy better. I advise everyone to do this. Ask your company what would happen in hypothetical situations. Also, I should not have been driving the car without a front bumper or windshield wipers. It just invites questions. I let my lack of patience win out there.

I am going to get an independent appraisal. However, I could use some advice on who to use. Who are the "national" companies that do appraisals? The last one was done by a local dealer that specializes in muscle cars. My Vette was done by a Vette specific shop. Would you suggest I have the appraiser come see the car at the shop, or should I trailer it to the appraiser? The insurance company wants the car to stay at the shop until they bring in an independent appraiser.

What is the benefit of telling them I want to fix the car. To be honest, with it being totaled, I am not sure how it will all play out.

The no fault insurance in Michigan can be tough, but even with the treatment I'm getting, it could only be worse with another company. At least, State Farm has to consider all the other policies I have with them. I hope.

BB69
09-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Just got a call from the claims agent after I wrote the last reply. They want copies of my receipts and descriptions of the work I did to the car for the appraiser. They also said that the shop's hourly rate was well above the national average. They were charging $49/hour for bodywork. I thought that was good, but she said somewhere in the mid $30's/hour is the average. The agent asked if I would take the car somewhere else. I explained that I chose this shop because they specialize in this type of work, and understand the old cars. Her reply is that the specialists charge more because they can. Back and forth we go. I finally explain to her that the amount of work is dictated by tha fact that the replacement panels don't fit. They need massaging to line up. She finally gave in, and said that it sounds like the car will be totaled no matter what.

Anyway, I am digging up receipts. I started yesterday. It's a long process. One problem is that I got a lot of things through "deals". For instance, my wife got me the TTII wheels direct from American Racing with a good discount. That hurts me now. I did the JL8 brake conversion myself, with a lot of parts sourced through ebay and forums like this. I don't really have receipts for things like that. I am going to try and be at the shop when the appraiser gets there. Do you think that's a good idea?

Ken

JoshStratton
09-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I am real surprised Frank (ProdigyCustoms) hasnt chimmed in here. He would be a good person to ask. You might want to PM him.

Actually 50 bucks an hour sounds about right for a classic car builder (from what I remember). Mid-30s sounds like mass-collision shops that just need to screw on a plastic bumper and move on to the next car.

I would be there when the appraiser gets there. Find out how they are appraising the car...especially since he/she is probably used to appraising newer cars. Take their mistakes to your private classic car appraiser and have them correct them. I think most places use a database with expected parts prices. Just make sure they are not pricing out cheap repro's. If they spend the extra money for good panels, it may be cheaper than buying the crap panels and massaging them to fit.

BB69
09-12-2006, 02:40 PM
So, after all this going back and forth with the claims agent today, she finally calls back and says I do indeed have a stated value policy. I had been telling her for two days that my policy has an appraised value stated right on the front. She kept saying that it was not an agreed value policy though. Anyway, now the appraisal is not needed, I don't need receipt, they are just going to pay. I can't believe they couldn't figure this out. I also can't believe I was ignorant enough to let this confusion go on. I am going to schedule a visit with my insurance agent and review all of my policies. Something I should have done in the first place.:pat:

Thanks for all the help. The next step will either be getting the car fixed, or selling and going in another direction. I change my mind more than my wife.

Ken

JoshStratton
09-13-2006, 06:55 AM
:cool: LOL great news!!!

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

BB69
09-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Everyday brings a new challenge. When I hung up with the agent yesterday, I thought all was fine. Today, she calls and says that the quote from the shop is much too high. State Farm has done their own estimate, and they put the repair at $6000, less than half the original quote. She says that the shop was going to make the car better than before, and SF is not responsible to pay for that. To make a long story short, SF either doesn't believe that the replacement panels don't fit right out of the box, or they don't understand what the shop and I am telling them. They think since the panels are available, they should just bolt on.

What is really getting me now, is the fact that the first time they looked at the car, SF said they couldn't do the estimate because they don't have experience with these cars. So, they asked the shop to do it. Now, they are saying the shop is adding unnecessary work.

Some of the main differences in the quotes are the amount to straighten the frame, and the amount to repair the rear quarter. SF's estimate only includes repairing the quarter. The metal is creased right on the edge. I'm no body man, but it sure seems like that would be damn near impossible to fix; especially in the 4 hours they quoted.

So, I am going to pick the car up tomorrow and take it to another shop. Hopefully, I can get a few estimates from shops that actually know what a 69 Camaro is, and convince SF what is needed to fix it properly.

I feel like I'm in the middle of a bad soap opera.

Not happy.
Ken

StRacerDuke
09-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Good lord what a mess. It's time to play hardball. They are just trying to see how much they can get out of you. Time to start yelling at her.

State (firmly) that you will not accept any offer that does not have a specialty car repair business work on the car, period. This is non-negotable. Let her know that you expect them to cover the cost, as legaly agreed upon in your policy or replace the car with one in equal condition. (They rarely like this option because it costs them much more). Also, let them know that you have been pushed around too much and are not goign to take it anymore. As a result you are meeting with an attorney next week to explore your legal rights.

This should light a fire under her @zz. I wouldn't accept anything less than a check for 15K, or a writin, legaly binding contract, that allows you to personaly aprove and sign off on the repair work.

BonzoHansen
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Get your broker involved ASAP. And if the claims person is obstinent, move on to her supervisor.

GeoffP
09-14-2006, 04:18 PM
One suggestion I have would be to remind your agent that you've never had a collision claim and that you expect better. I am a little surprised because I would never expect to get the run around you're getting from my State Farm agent. It sounds like I have the same policy as you on my 68. I was told that as long as damage didn't exceed the agreed upon value that my car would be fixed in the event of an accident. (I asked up front). I was also told that they needed pictures up front (I have yet to provide them since my car isn't running right now) in order to restore it to that condition. I would suggest that might be an avenue to explore if your agent didn't ask for pictures when you started the policy because it would be their fault, not yours (unless you've done as I have and haven't provided them yet). If your local agent doesn't give you satisfaction or if you don't feel he/she is doing everything possible to help, I would seek out another agent or ask for a regional supervisor. (of course, this is just my .02 cents worth)

GeoffP
68 Camaro LT1/T-56 in progress

BB69
09-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help. I am not usually the type of person to get too upset with people like an insurance agent. But, the longer this goes on, the more upset I get. My claims agent is out of the office until Tuesday. That will give me time to get another estimate. If that doesn't go well, I will escalate it to the manager. So far, I'm hoping that by staying reasonable with the agent, things will go better. We'll see.

Ken

Steve Firebird
09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I have had my car through State farm since 1985. I never had a claim I may just email this link to my agent and see what he thinks.

BB69
08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
It's hard to believe today is the 2 year anniversary of the car getting hit (not the date, but the Friday before Woodward Dream Cruise). Long story short, the car is still not finished. I argued with State Farm for two months trying to come to a resolution. The result is that I am having my friend in Ohio do the work on his spare time at the body shop he works at. State Farm paid out $6600 and my friend agreed to do all the repairs plus some other things for that amount. The other things include fixing the floors, putting a whole new firewall in it, removing the vinyl top, and replacing the hood with a cowl induction version.

As of today, the work continues. The rear of the car is complete minus the rear deck filler panel. The next big step is to replace the firewall and cowl. At that point, all the bodywork should be complete and the body in primer. Here are the latest pics:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/08/69camaro001-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/08/69camaro002-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/08/69camaro003-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/08/69camaro004-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/08/69camaro005-1.jpg

Now for the hard part: I would like to sell the car. Over the last two years I have been building a dedicated tube frame track car. I have also continued to work on my 69 Vette. I won't have room for the Camaro when it's done, and I don't have the passion for the car anymore. I have some people interested, but we can't come to agreement on the price. Can you guys tell me what you think the value should be?

-69 RS headlights and taillights (I'm not saying it's original, but it looks to be)
-4 speed M21
-buyer can choose between a 427 or 454; both need to be rebuilt
-JL8 style brakes
-very solid subframe that has been blasted and coated
-Guldstrand mod done by cutting and relocating upper mount
-all new front bushings, tie rod ends, and ball joints
-brand new 1 1/8" front sway bar
-brand new MOOG springs, cut (about 630 lb/in rate)
-custom made rear leafs (275 lb/in with anti-wrap feature)
-brand new Global West leaf spring bushings and hangers
-12 bolt rear with 3.73 ratio
-stock seats

Thanks
Ken