PDA

View Full Version : el camino roll cage

dgumoe
11-03-2004, 06:22 PM
in light of the post about running a 5 point harness in a car not equipped with a roll cage in it, ive had to reconsider my original plans. initially i was going to just run the floor mount belts from either sparco or corbeau. my reason for not installing a roll cage was that i have a "truck" and i don't want two bars blown through my back window. not only does it detract from the look of a good street car but it isnt conducive to a noise free interior having two holes in the back window. what do you guys suggest for a cage design in the "cab" so to speak of my camino? i can always install just the hoop and two side rails but is it really going to be worth it? or should i maybe just stick with three point harnesses and a nice set of factory buckets?

derekf
11-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I'd seen at one point (but can't find pics now) an Elky where they'd run the rear bars lower so they went through below the rear window. Not sure what that does for strength though.

68LSS1
11-04-2004, 03:07 AM
That's what I plan on doing (running the bars through the back of the cab as opposed to through the window). I've talked with the local welding shop and the owner campaigns a NHRA car. He said it would be fine (actually it was his suggestion). It may not be 100% technically legal but it will work for the local tracks.

dennis68
11-04-2004, 07:48 AM
I am going to run a full 10-point without the 2 rear bars. I think the 4 perimeter points and a couple crossbars in the back with a halo and some door bars is more than sufficient. I am not sure if NHRA will agree but I am not going to run bars out the back, I actually drive this everyday, even when it rains.

dgumoe
11-04-2004, 12:03 PM
well that was my thought too. i don't want a lexan rear window. and im not sure about the older caminos but on the the 78-88 years the amount of sheet metal above the rear window in my opinion isnt sufficient enough to punch two holes in and run the bars through there. so i guess ill go that route, besides the chances this car will ever be going fast enough to flip over is pretty slim.

TurboLark
11-05-2004, 11:06 AM
besides the chances this car will ever be going fast enough to flip over is pretty slim.
Well thats the silliest thinking ever. Do you plan to stay under 40mph?? The rollcage isnt to help when the car spontaneously flys off the ground. If you can go 100mph in the 1/4 mile you can easily flip the car hitting the guardrail/k-rail.

MrQuick
11-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Theres a 10.90 S/ST car I see regularly at Sears point and he has his rear struts going out the back right below the back window and down to the rear frame.Its licensed to run S/G but runs it in S/ST.
I've seen a car flip doing about 60mph.I bet I can get one over going slower. :Alchy:

WS6
12-15-2004, 05:06 PM
if you just want a roll cage to mount some harnesses to you could use a harness bar. not sure if itll work in the camino, but they are made for vettes, fbodies and other cars. they hold the harnesses in the right place so that they work and wouldnt hurt you if anything happens, but no way are they good for anything else.