PDA

View Full Version : 700r4 leak

pontiacbird
08-14-2006, 04:15 PM
on my vette 85 , I have a oil leak probleme between the tork converter and the transmission . apparently the oil seal is go out . someone tell me that a circlips exist to avoid this . do you have information to give me ?

Texas Hotrod
08-20-2006, 03:16 PM
I have heard of the front seal pushing out, but have never seen one do it. The clip? It's cheezy, any time I install a front seal, I always use J.B.Weld to keep it in. The clip is so weak, I don't see how it can actually work.
If the pump bushing is worn, a new seal won't last long. The pump has to come out of the case and be disassembled to properly install and stake the bushing. I also inlarge the drain passage behind the seal. I have an info sheet I can fax to you, if you need it.

BRIAN
08-21-2006, 06:51 AM
I just had the exact problem happen to me this past Friday. My problem only exists when the tranny heats up and apparently it is the converter that has a hairline crack and not the seal. If it leaks all the time it is the seal. If only when warm it might be something else. That clip is very low tension and really doesn't do much. Most use Locktite on seal outer shell.