PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a Dodge transmmision mechanic?

Larry Callahan
08-04-2006, 06:21 PM
I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota R/T and it starts in second gear. For some reason it will not downshift when I come to stop. I can manually shift it to first and then put it in drive after I hit like 15mph and it's fine. The dealer quoted me $3,800 and Aamco $3,200

They are nuts and don't want to do anything but swap it.

Help!

Madspeed
08-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Im in Simi valley and I can scan it to see if you have codes
It may be a bad shift solinoid
I am not 100% they went full electronic in that year
It is not a complicated trans to rebuild as i have built them
Pm me for more info
:EDIT: dam I had your number was about to just call you but I cant find it

Larry Callahan
08-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I so don't want to rebuild it. I went to Moorpark and Autozone loaned me a OBDII scanner and there were no codes. I think I will just go by the dealer on Monday and buy all the solinoids and sensors you can get to by pulling the pan and swap them. I think there is not a lot of electroincs since I looked to buy a chip for it and I was told it was not computer controlled. Go figure, It's a really low tech truck for a 2001. Hell, I think it still has a cap and a rotor.

MrQuick
08-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Hey, I forgot you had a Dodge...

You might be better off getting it to a Dealer or Madspeed to run a diagnostic on it then find out what you need.(not sure if you had or not?)
Most run of the mill tranny shops will tell you its gonna need an overhaul when it could just need a speed sensor or other. No point on replacing all the sensors when it might be an internal problem. An hour worth of dignostic time might actually save you money. We (dealer) charge $118 per hour.

Might just need a shift solinoid or a govenor solinoid and transducer but might be a piston problem since it set no codes. When was your last service and band adjustment.

If it does come down to a trans overhaul, go with a mopar reman since it comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. New reman will run around $2200 + misc.