PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E software help

71Formula
07-30-2006, 07:13 AM
I need help hooking the 4L80E up to my laptop. I bought the TCI control unit (#377000), all the sensors are hooked up, and power and ground have been hooked up. In the software I have it configured to look on COM4 (where the TCU is connected). However I still cannot get the software to actually connect to the ECU. Any ideas what could be wrong?

The error that I get is "ECU Connection Error - ECU not found"

myclone
07-30-2006, 12:04 PM
The only time Ive ever seen that error is when the PCM isnt powered up. Not to ask the obvious here but you have verified youve got 12v and ground at the PCM, yes?

While Im no computer whiz I have heard mention of other folks having communication issues when using various USB adaptors, super extra long com cables and the like. Reason I mention it is you said youre set up on com 4 so if thats a USB or similar and you have adaptors or adaptor cables there may be issues there. Ive got an older lap top which only has two com ports (DB-9s) which plug right into the TCI supplied cable and I havent had any communications issues (unless I forgot to turn the ign key on LOL).

FWIW dept:

I had to send my TCI unit back for warranty repair right out of the box so be aware that a bad unit does manage to slip past quality control at times I guess. Im not bashing TCI at all as my unit was returned in a couple weeks in working order but just something to be aware of before you pull youre hair out fighting a perceived lap top issue when it was the PCM the whole time. In my case I was ready to tear into a freshly rebuilt trans until a bud loaned me his compushift so I could verify the trans was working properly.

ps Wouldnt it be nice if TCI/FAST would throw at least a power indicator LED on the thing? I dont think a .0002 cent part would raise the price too awfully much....least I would hope not.

DeltaT
07-30-2006, 05:02 PM
I agree - get a cheapo (used like $120 nowadays) laptop with a serial port.

The other thing that can mess you up is a comm port conflict. Software like a Palm Pilot or other part-time device needs to be disabled.

I've heard of a lot of problems with the USB-to-serial adapters.

Jim

ProdigyCustoms
07-30-2006, 05:07 PM
As Delta eluded to, If your going through a Belkin adapter, you may have trouble, mine won't work

myclone
07-30-2006, 05:47 PM
As Delta eluded to, If your going through a Belkin adapter, you may have trouble, mine won't work

Frank,

Youre talking about the wireless/bluetooth stuff correct? If so that sucks since I was so hoping to get rid of the rats nest of cables and tidy things up by going wireless later on once I got the tuning squared away.

71Formula
07-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the replies, yes I was using a Belkin adapter to try and connect to it (my new laptop doesn't have a serial port). I borrowed my friends 10 year old laptop and it connects just fine. I probably lost 5 hours of time just fighting with my laptop trying to get it to work and never did.

I was thinking the same thing about the TCU having an LED, that would have been a really nice touch. After verifying that all the cables worked, and that I had clean power, and everything, I was starting to think the TCU was bad! I might just have to keep my eyes open for an old laptop for this purpose.

myclone
07-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the replies, yes I was using a Belkin adapter to try and connect to it (my new laptop doesn't have a serial port). I borrowed my friends 10 year old laptop and it connects just fine. I probably lost 5 hours of time just fighting with my laptop trying to get it to work and never did.

Glad you got things working and its good to know since Im sure someone else will attempt to use the adaptor as well.

FWIW, high rollers at the track kind of snub/laugh at my old clunky Dell but its saved my hind end more than once due to it being slow since I usually dont have any com errors when networking with slow processors as well as the fact it seems to be indestructable (so far). Ive watched those same guys with ~$2500 lap tops drop them, forget about them on the roof and drive through the pits only to lose them or any other number of things that has the same affect as setting ~$2500 on fire. When mine craps out or gets dropped in the pits Im out a whopping $30. Beater lap tops have their place just like beater cars LOL.

I was thinking the same thing about the TCU having an LED, that would have been a really nice touch. After verifying that all the cables worked, and that I had clean power, and everything, I was starting to think the TCU was bad! I might just have to keep my eyes open for an old laptop for this purpose.

Yes, a single LED to glance at to let you know the unit at least has power would be nice. Least it would save some poking and prodding of the harness with a volt meter any time theres an issue.

Steve Chryssos
07-31-2006, 07:32 AM
I keep an old laptop around for trans and FI tuning, but it's not a necessity. If you want to take the no-brainer approach, contact TCI and get one of their recommended USB to serial adapters. I've also seen adapters from Radio Shack work, but I'm not sure of the brand. They work fine. The only snag is that the comm icon (at bottom rt of the screen) may not show two green lights even thought the connection is live.

More Tips:
a) Test the initial transmission software setup with the front wheels chocked and the rear wheels positioned one or two inches off the ground. It's better to do it this way since there is no load on the transmission. (as opposed to driving it around the block)
b) If you have an uncalibrated electronic speedo, disconnect it for base tuning. It may confuse the TCU. If your trans will not upshift from 1st--that is the problem. Get the trans dialed in and then reconnect the speedo for calibration
c) The base calibrations are soft. Until you firm things up, avoid the John Force burnout.
d) Call me for tuning advice. It's very easy, but I can help shorten your learning curve.

Steve Chryssos
07-31-2006, 07:33 AM
My tuning laptop is SO old that it's powered by a mouse on a treadmill. Once per week I feed it some cheese to keep it rolling.

myclone
07-31-2006, 10:20 AM
c) The base calibrations are soft. Until you firm things up, avoid the John Force burnout.

I agree.... The line pressures are pretty tame in all of the base cal's that came with mine.

FWIW,

I recently learned that some 80Es will start out in 2nd if you manualy select 2nd gear. You can watch this happen if youre doing some real time logging....with the car stationary/foot on the brakes put the shifter in 1st and you should see the dash board "actual gear" say 1. Now without taking your foot off the brake or moving select 2nd gear and theres a good possibility that the trans will immediately go to 2nd (you can feel it as well as see the "actual gear" on the data log change to 2nd as well). If you select 3rd or 4th while not moving the trans will drop back into 1st.

I just found this out a few days ago from the guy that tought me about trans' and we're presently digging into find out more details about it. Supposedly (just rumor) is that it was designed into certain models for anti abuse/drive line preservation but we dont have any more details than that right now.

Anyways, my point is dont be overly alarmed if you start messing with manually shifting the trans and find out that if youre in manual 2nd you'll have no 1st gear take off. Select any other gear (1st, 3rd, 4th) and the trans starts behaving as it should by taking off in 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68
My tuning laptop is SO old that it's powered by a mouse on a treadmill. Once per week I feed it some cheese to keep it rolling.

Yeah well if you pop the cover off the battery on mine theres a sticker thats says "Quality control" and in the blank its signed Moses:lmao: .

Steve Chryssos
07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
.....or just throw the manual mode switch and tap the right paddle once :naughty:

myclone
07-31-2006, 01:59 PM
.....or just throw the manual mode switch and tap the right paddle once :naughty:

I havent had a chance to use the sequential shift yet (still tweaking the tables) but I was curious if it would over ride the mystery 2nd gear start issue. Steve have you ran into one of the second gear start units and been able to overide it with the sequenciat shift feature? Better yet have you ran into any of the 2nd gear start units period? Myself and two other ppl are the only ones I know of right off.

Steve Chryssos
08-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Nope. And our house 4L80E car has a manumatic floor shifter from a new Chrysler. So the floor shifter only has PRND and plus minus. No way to mechanically select 1, 2, or 3. I'll ask Bill Howell to give it a try.